Going to visit a breeder...help please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to visit a breeder...help please

DefaultGoing to visit a breeder...help please

Well I am going to visit a breeder in Phoenix. Her name is Tamra with ricochet labs. I have recieved a couple of referrals and recommendations for her and she is really nice. Does anyone have any questions that I should ask that could help me make a decision.

She has a 26 month hip guarantee, and guarantees the puppy to be healthy so when you take it to the vet for the first time if there is any vet work(medicine) done she will pay. She doesn't have a website.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Going to visit a breeder...help please

Labby's site has an article about what you should ask the breeder.

Here is the link:

http://woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html

Lots of great info here. Good luck!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

See the link above - and keep it saved as it wlill answer any FUTURE questions

to go more directly to a link on that page relating to visiting a breeder (checklist)
    http://woodhavenlabs.com/checklist.html

But again, there is ALOT more information in the link provided by Weheartlabs!!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would want to see the parent's and grandparent's clearances for hips, elbows and eyes. What is involved with the 26 month hip guarantee? Does that mean that if the dog is diagnosed with hip dysplasia she's going to pay for the hip replacement? Or does it just mean that she'll take the dog back? Frankly, if it's just that she'll take the dog back, that wouldn't mean jack to me - what are you going to do ... raise the dog for 2 years and then give it back in 2 years if it develops hip dysplasia where it will probably be euthanized? I think its more important to see the hip, eye, and elbow clearances for the parents and grandparents. If she can't give those to you, I'd pass and look for a breeder who can. (I say this because I am dealing with a dog with elbow dysplasia myself right now - hips are beautiful but elbows can be a big problem too and I didn't know enough at the time to ask about elbows - so now I have a four year old dog that I've spent around $4000 on for elbow issues and she still has to live with severe arthritis).

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stlabs
    I would want to see the parent's and grandparent's clearances for hips, elbows.
    This information is available online. However, since they don't list the registered names on their website, yes indeed you want to see the actual certifications.

I'd want to know just how good a friend they are with the Redrock Ranch people who breed silvers. I notice on their Available page they are offering a "diluted-light chocolate" for sale. That's usually another word for silver and any association with silver would get me running out the door.

Laura

Well I did get to see the hip and elbow records. Hip on the both was good, and elbow was normal. Although the fathers was a preliminary, not the official.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would get the AKC registered names of both the mom and dad and do the research yourself on the OFA website to make sure that the dogs are cleared. I am not a big fan of breeding on prelims, but that's just me. I saw a good friend with a show dog burned bad with a sire that was bred on prelims and then never was able to get final clearances, and her show dog ended up with a hereditary issue.

I would ask if the breeder shows in any events and if she is actively involved in a kennel club or Lab specialty club. If no to those questions, it would be an immediate disqualification for me.

I didn't ask her if she was in a kennel club, but I did ask her about showing. One of her dogs just one best in show which she was excited about. And I asked her about if there was a season, because I didn't know. I was a little thrown off when she said that there was a typo on the mom's pedigree. The dad was in colorado but she had pictures of him in a show and his pedigree. Do the vets ever do anything to make sure that people are just claiming that these are the parents when they really aren't? So when I go to get her registered, and i order her pedigree, is there any way that could not be real?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I don't know if the OFA site is down or if there is a problem, but I just did a search on "Richocet" and couldn't find a single dog on there...are all of their dogs purchased from someone else (and thus would have other kennel names on them)?

I agree with Laura, too, about RedRock... the mere mention of them on most reputable breeders' sites sends other breeders running for the hills. :-\

I would go into this with an open mind, and please don't put a deposit down until you've really thought about it. If you are paying the price for a puppy from a reputable breeder, just try to make sure that they are truly a reputable breeder. I have made that mistake before...

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

No they should be under quail haven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast