Medical advice needed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical advice needed!

DefaultMedical advice needed!

Some of you may have remembered back in January that Sambuca developed an autoimmune disease called Masticatory Myositis. He has responded to the Predisone and was actually weaned off after 6 months ( Jan - May). Everything looked great. The disease was in remission and he showed no signs of it.
    In May I noticed significant hair loss on his underside...chest area to his tail. Looked naked the poor thing. I talked to the vet and they assured me it was from the long term Predisone use. For the past few weeks he has started scratching himself everywhere. He has more areas of hair loss now. I gave him a medicated oatmeal bath thinking he got into something in the grass. Not much improvement. So I schedule a visit with the vet. She takes a skin scraping, no mites or scabies. She is suspicious of Hypothyroidism because of his other autoimmune disease. We are going to try Benadryl for the next few days and see if it helps. She also noticed calcium deposits in both eyes. They weren't present before. I actually noticed it myself, but thought he was too young to have calcium deposits. He just turned two. She feels the calcium deposits could be from high cholesterol levels in his blood, which can also be from Hypothyroidism.

Has anyone else had problems with calcium deposits in their dogs eyes? Was it linked to Hypothyroidism? Just wondering what other symptoms your dog had with Hypothyroidism. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Medical advice needed!

Bear has one in his left eye, it is not cholesterol related. I once heard that if they are cholesterol related they can go away once you correct the problem.

Eric

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

My girl has Corneal Dystrophy (diagnosed by ACVO after regular vet suspected it) which is said to be related to hypothyroidism.
    Many of the normal symptoms of hypothyroidism she did not exhibit other than hair loss. Instead of obesity she was severly underweight. Because of her lack of normal symtoms, I think that is what took us so long to diagnose.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the info. Kim. Do you have to treat your dog's Corneal Dystrophy?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

No advice, but I hope Sam feels better soon.

Our ACVO told us that there really is no treatment for Bear's Corneal Dystrophy. They can in some case do a superficial keratectomy, but the deposit may return.

Thanks Tatyana! He is so young and this is so frustrating! I just want him healthy again! I worry about him so much. The vet says it is just bad luck!

Eriec, did they say how much his vision would be impaired? Is it painful?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambucasmom
    Eriec, did they say how much his vision would be impaired? Is it painful?
    Bears is located about the 7 o'clock position on the eye over the iris just outside of the pupil opening, so I do not think it obstructs his vision, the doc did say it could grow over time, it has not changed since it came up over a year ago. I do not believe they dog even knows its there.

Here is a link to some info off our ACVO's website
    http://www.eyeclinicforanimals.com/dystrophy.php

No advice here either, sorry... I just wanted to say I've always LOVED your dog... Sambuca is so handsome...and sweet too. I hope things get easier for him soon. He needs a break! You too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast