Cold tail or limber tail . . . need advice . . . UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold tail or limber tail . . . need advice . . . UPDATE

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultCold tail or limber tail . . . need advice . . . UPDATE

I've read some past posts on limber tail or cold tail and I believe that is what Haylee has. She has been swimming frequently, as we have had family visiting from out of state and she has been in the pool a lot. I said to give them anti-inflammatories to help them be more comfortable. What, exactly, should I be giving her? What dose? She is 73 lbs. I don't want to give her anything without the advice of some more experienced owners. Thanks!

***UPDATE*** We ended up calling the vet. Haylee just could not get comfortable and she was panting -- a lot. So, we took her in and the doctor gave her a shot for the pain and an anti-inflammatory and then gave us some meds for the next few days. She seems a bit more comfortable now. At least she should be much better by tomorrow. She just loved my BIL so much and just swam and played with him in the pool for the last few days. We'll definitely monitor her pool time in the future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cold tail or limber tail . . . need advice . . .

Snicks gets cold tail every year.

This is how she normally holds her tail:

And this is how she holds it with cold tail:

We give her buffered aspirin - although I can't remember what the dosage is. (I have it written down at home.) I'm sure someone else here will have the dosage. Other than that, there really isn't much you can do for it other than wait it out. With Snicks, it only lasts a couple of days.
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

Thanks -- that is exactly what Haylee's tail looks like! Hopefully she'll be better in a few days. I will be sure she rests until it's better. I'll wait and see if someone lets me know exactly what to giver her and what dosage. She seems so miserable!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

Thanks, Laura, I check your site first!! Should I give her any anti-inflammatory medication? If so, what kind is best and how much? She can't seem to get comfortable -- poor baby is so pathetic -- no swimming for her until she is up and wagging. Let me know what you think is best. Thanks so very much!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

awww poor Haylee. Hope she feels better soon. Lucy has never experienced it....yet.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Poor girl. Hope she feels better soon. You probably know this, but just to be safe, the only anti-inflammatory you'd want to give is buffered aspirin, never Advil. (I'm not sure of the proper dosage.)

Theo hasn't had it (yet) either, but the description on Laura's site makes it sound so painful. It almost sounds like compartment syndrome in people, which is excruciating.

Yes, I know not to give Advil -- I would just like to know what is best to give and the proper dosage. She just can't seem to get comfortable.

labby is offline Senior Member

I use ascriptin which is aspirin with maalox.

Laura

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Jefferson gets this almost every time he goes swimming. I give him buffered aspirin. Make sure you don't use enteric coated, as dogs don't digest the coating and it passes through them undigested. If you give buffered aspirin, give it with food--it is hard on their stomachs.
    Here is a website that has dosages:
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_2079_8.jpg
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast