Just Labradors banner

Dog Aggression

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  k8show 
#1 ·
Does anybody have this problem, Saska loves playing with all her friends at the park who she has known since puppyhood, they can do anything with her, jump on her, playbite, chase her, but the last couple of days when dogs she does not know (mostly puppies) try and jump on her she tells them off, she sounds quite aggressive, :( I do not know what to do, I have to keep apologizing to everybody, most owners are OK as they say that their dog needs to be told to learn. But I personally do not feel comfortable with her doing this.

The only thing I can think of is to advise anybody with puppies that this might happen and leave it to them as to whether they let their dogs of the lead to play with her. What to you think/

#2 ·
It is totally acceptable for an older dog to put a rude puppy in their place. I know Baloo's been "told" a couple times...  ;)

As long as she's not attacking them and drawing blood or anything like that, I wouldn't worry about it. Think of it as her helping with their "socialization education"!!

Edited to add: if the puppy-owner gets nervous, just say something light-hearted, like, "She's teaching him to mind his manners!!"

#4 ·
I agree with the above.

I notice that under your avatar you say that Saska is 22 months old. She is still a young dog but she is also no longer a puppy. Adult dogs tolerance of rambunctious puppies wains as they get older. An adult dog should never respond with aggression but there is no harm whatsoever in her telling a 'rude' dog or puppy to back off.

#5 ·
Hi Trickster, she is never aggressive with other dogs thank goodness, more likely to be submissive lies on her back legs in the air, hee! hee it just seems as she is getting older her tolerance of young puppies seem to be waining, it is good to know that she is just reacting naturally. Lynn

#7 ·
Haylee is the same way with puppies -- she will give a quick reprimand to them, but has never attacked, drawn blood or anything else. It's mostly verbal. When Haylee was a puppy, she used to play with my friend's Aussie, Molly. Molly taught her manners. She would respond verbally when Haylee got too much for her. She never, ever hurt her and they are still good friends!

G
#8 ·
This is why I called a trainer in the first place for Phoebe. Not for her---but for me. I literally told them I needed the help in calming down with my new dog and not bringing along all the baggage from the old ones. I am the one who needs to learn the signs of "normal" dog interaction. I had a dog before that wasn't animal aggressive---but more had no social skills what so ever. I rescued her at 3 from a pound. She killed 2 skunks, a squirrel, tried a opposum (but it really played opposum). She did get ahold of small dog in the vet's office---one of the worker's dog that had gotten loose and ran up to Star. She got it good in her mouth---the little fellow needed surgery. But, the vet told me it wasn't Star's fault--that the other dog charged Star and if Star had been "aggressive", she would have continued trying to attack the dog after they got her off. I loved her to the bitter end and so did my other dog who she loved too.

Anyway, that is the baggage I come with to Phoebe and the stuff I am trying to put in the past. The obedience classes are helping tremendously. I have also been able to get her with a few dogs and she has done fine--while extremely hyper. I haven't walked her much yet because of the heat here. But, the few times I have been able to get out, I am feeling more confident.

I may take myself to a dog park to see, watch and observe. I watch the dog shows on TV to just observe. I am determined not to create a situation that isn't there.

DG

#11 ·
WeHeartLabs said:
I agree...if she is just putting them in their place, then she is fine. It is appropriate for an older dog to verbally "tell off" a youngster.
Ditto. And I would be very careful using the word "aggressive." In rescue
aggressive equals PTS. (put to sleep.)

G
#12 ·
nellies mom said:
WeHeartLabs said:
I agree...if she is just putting them in their place, then she is fine. It is appropriate for an older dog to verbally "tell off" a youngster.
Yep--I made sure the rescue group I had to return a foster dog to understood he was not aggressive but was being dominate to my younger, smaller kids and needed to go to a home with older, bigger kids. He tried to put them in their place by snapping at them. I truly wanted to make sure they didn't label him as agressive.

DG

#13 ·
nellies mom said:
WeHeartLabs said:
Hi she is definitely not aggressive, wrong word to use sorry, she is just telling them off, but because she does never uses that tone and is really soppy, it sounded worse than it was. I really think I will have to watch puppies in future. Saska loves everybody I think she is getting a taste of her own medicine now they are only behaving exactly as Saska did when she was a puppy.

G
#14 ·
Yes, I we do ...

Laika can be verry agresive to other dog's especialy when she's on the leash, and agrasive means, dont come in to the innercircle of the leash, or other wise she bite's (not funny!) ;)

But if it's a little dog (specialy the white one's) she dont like them, and that also results in a attack :-\

But i've learned to live with this type of behavior (they've already tried to trained it out of her by a profesional dog trainer) ::)

But evry thing is going back to the first months of Laika, she was then held in a belgium backyard for ten months, that wont do good to a young dog i guess ;)

And keep in mind, that i'am already the 4th owner of her in 2 years of time, that also wont do any good to a dog i guess :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.