BAD mistake.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD mistake.....

DefaultBAD mistake.....

Yes, you can tell me I'm stupid and it won't be anything i haven't told myself at least 50 times, but try to be kind......

I went to my daughter's new house this weekend. She has a big back yard, lovely grass, high board fence (about 6 feet) all around. I thought Sam would like it back there. Nothing for him to get hung on, and no new plants to chew etc. i left him in the back yard while she and I went to a store. We were gone about two hours. When we drove up, there he was, lying in her front yard. Looked like he was just resting, waiting for us to come back. He had DUG under the fence.

Yes, my heart absolutely stopped. He's never tried to get out of my yard at home. Never dug in an effort to do so. It never crossed my mind that he would. Shows what I know.

I am so thankful that he didn't run off or get lost trying to find us. No telling how long he was out. MAYBE he had just dug right before we got there. She doesn't live on a busy street so there was that to be also thankful for.

I still get chills just thinking about it. I will know forever more now that you can never leave a dog loose and assume it can't get out. Crate for Sam now when we go visit Anne.

My back is pretty raw from the whipping I've been giving myself.....

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: BAD mistake.....

Well you could continue to beat yourself up but it'd be much more beneficial to look at it this way -- no harm was done, and lots of excellent learning was gained for the future protection of Sam.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Well you could continue to beat yourself up but it'd be much more beneficial to look at it this way -- no harm was done, and lots of excellent learning was gained for the future protection of Sam.
    Indeed!

Also, congratulate yourself on having a dog that didn't bolt immediately upon realizing his "freedom"!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh I agree with Bob. No harm, no foul. Sam stayed put. He should help you fill in the hole, though.

Seamus and Flynn

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That's all the wonderful training he's had Frances (the reason he stayed, I mean). Don't beat yourself up about it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I think Bob pretty much said it all.

Good boy for staying put Sam!

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Bob said it best.

If I had a dollar for the each of the stupid things I've done. We would all be discussing how I amassed such wealth.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I do not want to relate the DUMB event that my son and I allowed to happen. 24 hours with the emergency vet and $1200 later, Hershey Kisses is just fine. My son and I will never let something like that happen to any puppy again. The two dogs involved are now best buddies. We learned and will never forget. We are smarter and the dogs are better protected.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

omg Frances... I bet your heart skipped a few beats! Thank God he was ok.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Oh My ! Good Boy Sam. I agree, it's all the training you did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast