How to find a trainer?

Thread: How to find a trainer?

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultHow to find a trainer?

I need some ideas on how to find a trainer for Billie. I don't know anyone else who has a dog that has used one in this area, and my vet is no help.

Basically my problem is this: I am extremely frustrated with her not listening to me and Scott. She chooses when and where she feels the need to listen. She does fairly well in the house but out of that environment not so much. We need some training and so does she. I would like one on one training, not classes at Petsmart.

I'm at a boiling point with my frustration. She almost got loose again yesterday when she was at Scott's parents house because Scott is used to a dog that listens (his parents Lab is a stay-at-home, listen when she's told kind of dog 7 years old) and Billie bolted for the garage door when she came in from the yard through the doggie door before Scott got it shut. I came unglued all over him and we got in a fight - I had visions of her getting loose in traffic and getting run over. I don't want to do this anymore. We need to get us trained. We need to get Billie to listen to us after we get us trained.

How did those of you who have used a trainer find them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to find a trainer?

This is a good place to start. http://www.apdt.com/
    It took me awhile to find the right trainer for Brigetta. She was actually the president of the APDT for several years. I found her through word of mouth. I started asking my vet, people in the vet's office, at Brigetta's daycare, etc. I would email the trainers to find out about their training background, how many dogs are in each class, what type of training (reward based, etc),and explained my specific situation regarding Brigetta, etc. Some trainers will let you visit a class.
    Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

See if there is an AKC kennel club in your area. They might have some suggestions. We have maybe two trainers in our area. It makes it difficult to get one on one time.

My daughter didn't like our local Petsmart classes either.

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

a) Read the "Our Best Advice" sticky in the Puppy Training forum. Read the lessons on a recall 2x.

b) Google "Dog Training Clubs in ____________ <<insert your local town>>" Call-n-ask.

c) Attend a local dog show and ask around. These can be found at www.infodog.com.

d) Google "Lab Breeders in ____________ <<insert your local town>>" Call-n-ask.

If you REALLY want 1:1 training, it's going to be expensive. There are group classes that are terrific (better and more individualized that the chain megastores) that may be more economical.

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    a) Read the "Our Best Advice" sticky in the Puppy Training forum. Read the lessons on a recall 2x.

If you REALLY want 1:1 training, it's going to be expensive. There are group classes that are terrific (better and more individualized that the chain megastores) that may be more economical.
    We work on recall every day as we go about daily life...when I say this dog is a stubborn individual, I can't stress it enough. I don't know if that is how she survived whatever ordeal she went through to end up in a shelter, but this dog is STUBBORN. She loves us and will stick around us and cuddle and all that but I swear...I had her tied to me on a leash for 2 months and we worked on commands and such every day and STILL she's not listening. I can't move on to the longer distance recalls until I get the short distance on leash recalls mastered and even those are spotty after all this time and work. It's as if she is sticking her tongue out at me and saying "nanny nanny boo boo I don't wanna I have better things to do." There is no treat, toy, game, etc. that I've found that makes me more interesting than what she wants to do when she's like that.

I'll try the dog training clubs and the infodogs website...and try to find a non-chain store class. Thanks for the info everyone.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I can sympathize. Wesley has a stubborn streak in him, too. Frankly, it took a pinch collar for him to realize that I was in charge and that what I said, I meant!!

Good luck -- And kudos to you for working through these issues w/your dog!! ;D