Question about a water bowl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about a water bowl

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about a water bowl

I got a water bowl yesterday that you can put a 5-gallon water bottle on. With four dogs I thought this would be a great idea especially since we already get water delivered to the house and always are behind on emptying bottles. My question is how to keep the bowl area clean. I never had a problem before we got the lab puppy but now it seems like there is always stuff in the bowl, like grass and dirt. I was thinking about using a fish net to swoop it out every day. Anybody use one of these?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question about a water bowl

I only have one dog and use a 5 quart, metal bowl which I scrub every day with soap and water. Can you remove the bowl and clean it? With this hot weather you don't want anything growing in there that could make the dogs sick.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

There are a few people on this board who have what you're talking about, I'm sure they'll be able to provide some guidance!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

No, you can't remove the bowl until the water jug is empty. I will try to attach a link to a picture. http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/ima...0682_49ded.jpg

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Mine has a 3 gallon bottle that I have to fill ever 3-4 days. I clean the base thoroughly when I have to fill the bottle. If I see any kind of accumulation of 'stuff' in the base, I take the bottle off and clean the base.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I have one of those 5 gallon water bowls too.. However I dont fill it all the way.. I fill it only about 3 quarters of the way full (so the same water doesnt sit in there for long) and then when the jug gets empty and theres just a little water in the bowl part I take the jug off and wash the bowl out in my sink.. Usually every 5 days or so... I keep it in my mud room inside so grass and stuff usually doesnt get in there but nasty stuff does manage its way in there sometimes.. It doesnt seem to bother the dogs and they eat grass outside anyways, so I usually dont worry about it until cleaning day ... But I do keep a kiddie pool filled about half way on my deck so that the dogs can drink (and play) as much as they want in there.. That I emply every night and fill every morning... As for the fish net, I never thought of that but it is a good idea

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I've got one of those bowls too. It's the best. I wash the drinking bowls out weekly, soap and water and allow to fully dry before I put it back down.

If I recall, when Abby was a pup, the bowl part was always dirty as well, from stuff she'd drop in it. I did what ShadowDancin does and I would only fill it 1/4 of the way so that each day I could dump the dirt and grass and crap out.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have a Le Bistro waterer also but mine is about a one gallon size. Once a week, I clean the plastic water container in the dishwasher -- no heat in the drying.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I have a five gallon one also. I have two labs. But I fill mine. It is empty after 3-4 daysand then I scrub out both sections of it before refilling it. I keep a rug under it to catch SOME of the drips/slobber. Yes, some stuff gets in the bowl, but it doesn't seem to bother them. As I was typing my reply I thought if you could build a platform and get it about 6" or so off the floor that would probably eliminate alot of the stuff that gets in the bowl. HMMmmmm, I'll have to talk to SU and see if he has any ideas for a platform.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

OK, funny lab story, I got one of those 3 gallon ones
    for Buddy and Bear. Well, Buddy decided he wanted
    to play with the water bottle and knocked it off its
    base and chewed on it ! He was younger then, maybe
    I should try again ?
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast