Is it a stage or is it something else?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a stage or is it something else?

Kathryn Guest

DefaultIs it a stage or is it something else?

Jacey has started to show a little bit of fear when she sees people. She gets excited and then as SHE walks closer she starts to crawl to the ground.
    How do I go about dealing with this? I was going to talk to the head lady at class and see if we could take a little time on tuesdays to have everyone come say hi to Jacey.. But I dont know if this is a bad idea or not.. Shes fine with little children.. Its adults that she is showing this fear..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is it a stage or is it something else?

I don't think it is a stage, but I think your tactic is the way to go and start right away with it and do it every day and you should see a great improvement, even ask strangers to help. Have them all have treats to give when they say hi.

Also, when she acts nervous, do not baby her and tell her, "it's okay..."

Ignore the bad behavior and praise the good, not the other way around.

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    I don't think it is a stage, but I think your tactic is the way to go and start right away with it and do it every day and you should see a great improvement, even ask strangers to help. Have them all have treats to give when they say hi.

Also, when she acts nervous, do not baby her and tell her, "it's okay..."

Ignore the bad behavior and praise the good, not the other way around.
    I dont want "strangers" to offer her treats.. but would them offering her her fav, toy be like offering a treat??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Toys are great as well...anything that makes your dog happy!!!!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

As a training exercise, having selected 'strangers' in controlled situations give her treats is the fastest method to overcome this. Toys will work, but are less 'consistent' than food... (wil you ask strangers to play tug? fetch? not feasible or safe on sidewalks). I know what you're saying about her getting food from strangers, but you will be supplying the food - not the passerby.

Alternately, get Jacey to sit and you give her a treat as a stranger approaches

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    As a training exercise, having selected 'strangers' in controlled situations give her treats is the fastest method to overcome this. Toys will work, but are less 'consistent' than food... (wil you ask strangers to play tug? fetch? not feasible or safe on sidewalks). I know what you're saying about her getting food from strangers, but you will be supplying the food - not the passerby.

Alternately, get Jacey to sit and you give her a treat as a stranger approaches
    Thanks
    Im going to ask our trainer and see if we can take some time and do this during or after class tomorrow. She knows everyone there. Even if we couldnt use class people there are enough people there with our trainer that Jacey has seen but not been pet by so that might work too..
    Thanks.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay Trainers! Looking for your comment into this thread.

Getting treats from strangers, i.e. anyone other than the owner family trying to train a pup.

In the classes that I have taken with Hershey Kisses.

Rule #1 - NO ONE treats someone else's dog. The dogs have to learn who is their master. Once that is clearly established and irrefutable in the dogs mind, maybe a year old, then anything (almost anything) goes.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Another viewpoint to add...

Are you sure it's fear..? Getting "low to the ground" is a submissive action, dogs often use it to show respect (they're trying to make themselves look as small as possible, telling the other party that they are not a threat)

Baloo almost crawls on his belly up to every bigger/older dog he meets (if they seem unwelcoming of his affections, he goes lower and lower), and I've seen many puppies do the same. (He also gets a much better reception than puppies who approach other dogs standing straight up, chest puffed.)

Just a thought. If you don't like it though, I'd work on getting her to sit for affection from people.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Getting treats from strangers, i.e. anyone other than the owner family trying to train a pup.
    Rule #1 - NO ONE treats someone else's dog. The dogs have to learn who is their master. Once that is clearly established and irrefutable in the dogs mind, maybe a year old, then anything (almost anything) goes.
    In my class we treat each other's dogs. It helps with socialization, and it also helps them to learn that "sit" means "sit" when I say it, when Dan says it, when little-kid-on-the-sidewalk says it, when old-lady-sitting-on-a-park-bench says it, etc.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Okay Trainers! Looking for your comment into this thread.

Fear is a seperate issue. The usual approach is to pair the feared object with something pleasant, so that the association is made that scary people = yummy treats. (counter conditioning/systematic desensitization). There is a limited window of socialization, and if you wait too long, you have a lifelong issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast