A couple behaviour questions

Thread: A couple behaviour questions

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultA couple behaviour questions

Hershey Kisses (6 months) is adverse to having her head petted most of the time. I pet her slowly from the top of her head down to her collar or further. Even when I get home and she comes running to mem any attempt to pet her on head head gets translated to her positioning her rump for the petting. If I am laying on the floor, she will come over, sneak her muzzle under my hand and when I start to stroke her, she moves such that she is presenting her rump for the petting. Are other Labs doing this?

Playing fetch in the house, ball is actually rolled, she has to find another toy and then works to pick up the ball with the other toy. When she does this, she returns and and drops the ball voluntarily. If she goes after the ball without the other toy in her mouth, it becomes keep away when she should be giving me the ball. And she does bring it right to me, almost like teasing that she has it and I don't.

Somethimes the toy she picks up, maybe another ball, prevents her from pickin gup the ball to be fetched. Then she will paw at the ball to manuever it back to me. Soccer style. Now this is not a straight line activity and often takes qite a while, bt there is no doubt that she is trying to get the ball back to me with her feet, sometines the nose is brought it for aid.

Interested in any comments on these.

Ed
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: A couple behaviour questions

Nellie prefers to have her rump scratched or rubbed. She does a little happy dance from one hind foot to the other when I rub. It's a riot to watch.

DefaultRe: A couple behaviour questions

As for wanting her rump scratched, I think it is preference....some dogs absolutely love that, some can care less. As long as she is not afraid or fearful with you touch her head, you have nothing to worry about.

As for the other issue, I got a little confused reading what you wrote, but to me it sounds like she is having fun and learning at the same time. Remember, she is only 6 months old, most dogs/even labs never have a return to hand. It time, assuming she has drive for that ball, she will start to bring it to you, because in time she will want you to throw it again, she will realize that is the fun part of the ball...but again...it can take another few months, but you will slowly see it happen.