Abscess?

Thread: Abscess?

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAbscess?

After a few days at the cottage this week we heard Guinness yelp from the bay behind us. He came running to the deck and sat with us. No problem we thought, him and the other dog there had words and Guinness got told off. A few hours later Guinness was back in the water along the shore and came running to the cottage with two feet and a tail hanging out of his mouth! OMG! We yelled to "drop it" but instead he took two or three bites and it was gone! Later we notice a bump on his side and a sac that seem to be fluid filled hanging down below it. Guinness was also not acting himself...tired, quiet etc. By ten p.m. I called my vet at home (I think I owe her a bottle of wine for that one) and she said to give him benedryl to see if it goes down as it could be a sting, but if that didn't work by the next morning it was probably an abscess and to take him to the vet where we were to get it checked out. Lethargic could be the abscess or because he had just hurked down some huge swamp critter and he was trying to digest fur and feet. Trip to the vet the next day...its an abscess. Great! We opted for antibiotics for the rest of our vacation, as draining it at that time would mean no swimming for the dog, and we might as well have come home. The sac is now gone, the lump is bigger and we have a vet appointment for tomorrow. Anyone had experience with this? What can we expect? And, Guinness was to be neutered next week, but if they have to put him out to drain it, could we ask to have everything done at once? Any help would be VERY appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Abscess?

Abscesses suck.

If I could make a recommendation? Have them surgically drain it and remove it in a sterile situation. If it ruptures on its own, you will entail a lot of cash and pain having to pack it and keep it clean and dry.

I don't see any reason not to have both done at the same time.

DefaultRe: Abscess? UPDATE

Guinness in this morning. Our vet examined him again (not the same vet as yesterday, but our regular one) and she wants to try a new set of antibiotics until next Tues. She thinks that perhaps it may go down on its own. The abscess is quite hard and large now but Guinness is not in distress or pain so we are playing a waiting game. I hope it starts to subside on its own. I really don't want it to rupture (ewwwww) but the vet doesn't seem too concerned about that. Any thoughts?

Guinness saw our regular vet today and it is definately an abscess...about the size of a half an orange now. Tomorrow he goes in to have it lanced, and if all goes well they may do his neuter too. I'm pretty worried for the poor guy, but he just isn't himself today, and hopefully once he gets past this he'll be back to his old self. Guess that's what happens when you mess with a muskrat nest...hope the ones he ate were worth it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

New update...any thoughts?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor guy! Good thoughts for tomorrow.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence