help with shelby,she wont stop jumping on people

Thread: help with shelby,she wont stop jumping on people

Defaulthelp with shelby,she wont stop jumping on people

how do I get her to stop jumping.its geting so bad she knocks down my six year old son.pluse shes jumps up on the screen door trying to get in the house.had to replace to screens now...ooh and also ive notice she wont let my other dog eat.she snaps at him.is there anything I can do about that.or should I just feed them in diffrent rooms.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: help with shelby,she wont stop jumping on people

with the jumping the way i taught lola ways just to ignore her until she was calm and she was siting then i would praise and give treats. now about the food thing if you feed them at the same time feed them in different room if your dog is snapping when its not eating and its your other dogs turn then have you dog in another room while the other eats. but if you want to get that problem solved then i sugest you call a behaviorist(SP)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I suggest getting into an obedience class immediately. They will show you how to train her not to jump and how to correct her when she snaps. How old is Shelby?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As Jackie said, you need to enroll her in an obedience class. Right now I would keep her on a leash and yank her when she starts to jump and say "NO JUMP." As to the snapping at feeding time, that's a bigger problem. She has to learn she is not alpha dog. I would start by feeding them separately. If it continues I would feed your other dog first then make her eat from your hand. That shows her that you control the situation.

thanks for the info,the jumping has to stop.and as the feeding my poor min pin has lost almost lost 1lb and hes only 4lbs.shelby get really mean when it comes to meal time her fur starts to stick up.I never had this problem before with my other lab.and as for the jumping my friend that is a dog trainer told me to turn away when she jumps.But when my son does that she will still jump on his back and and make him fall to the ground... ooh also shelby is 6 months old tomorrow.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You need to keep a leash on her, with a choke collar, and give it a snap and say a loud "NO!" when she jumps, and make her stay down. With the food aggressions, again give her a correction and a loud, sharp "NO!" If that doesn't end it, correct her again and make her think the world as she knows it is about to end by yelling at her and getting in her face until she backs down. This is what adult dogs would do - snarl and bark and let her know her actions are not acceptable. The second she backs down, praise her and tell her she's a good girl. If you don't stop the aggression now, she could end up hurting the smaller dog when she gets bigger.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    You need to keep a leash on her, with a choke collar, and give it a snap and say a loud "NO!" when she jumps, and make her stay down. With the food aggressions, again give her a correction and a loud, sharp "NO!" If that doesn't end it, correct her again and make her think the world as she knows it is about to end by yelling at her and getting in her face until she backs down. This is what adult dogs would do - snarl and bark and let her know her actions are not acceptable. The second she backs down, praise her and tell her she's a good girl. If you don't stop the aggression now, she could end up hurting the smaller dog when she gets bigger.
    oooh thank you I will try that with her tonight

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    i understand that this works for some people, but in the cases where this method doesn't work, the dog's resource guarding behavior may get worse and other ill side effects may occur. for example, if the dog mistakenly starts to associates the punishments with the other dog instead of her own behavior, the relationship between these two dogs may suffer beyond just feeding times.

i think you can obtain the best help from finding a qualified animal behaviorist, who can evaluate your dog IN PERSON. internet advise can be unreliable at times, including my own, so please take everything you read with a grain of salt.

another reason i don't recommend punishing a dog for resource guarding is because often times, doing so has the effect of validating the anxiety that caused them to guard the food in the first place and if unsuccessful, it may result in the aggressive behavior getting worse and harder to resolve. punishing actions tend to only suppress behaviors where the dog responds only to avoid the punishment, not resource guarding itself. the dog's inclination to feel anxiety and worry about losing resources is still there.

resource guarding is usually seen as alpha issue, but only insecure dogs who are unsure of themselves display these types of behaviors. one of the best things you can do is to stop the trigger for the behavior so that the dog doesn't get chances to practice this behavior. having repeat success with this behavior will give confidence to the dog in an undesirable way. she'll learn that acting like a bully let's her get her way. please start feeding your two dogs separately and feed the resource guarder by hand for awhile. she needs help in understanding the food belongs to YOU and YOU control the food. require that she Sit or Wait or do something you know she can do in order to obtain the food. as her leader, YOU provide that food to her and YOU decide when she is allowed access to the food. she doesn't have to worry about food being stolen by the other dog. she needs to be conditioned to stop worring about the food. she needs to understand that food is not something she controls.

also, start a training regiment where you teach/train your dog that your presence and your hands are not a threat and pose no danger to their hunger, in time, include the other members of the household. teach your dog that human hands brings tasty treats, more food, or other goodies. if the bowl is taken away during her meal, give it back with more food it in. she'll learn that human presence while she is eating is wonderful! instead of stressing out, she'll learn to welcome humans being near at meal times.

with training, the dog can become conditioned to stop guarding their food bowl, because they will learn that food guarding is unnecessary.

if it's really important to you to feed your dogs in the same room, after you work on her individual training, the same kind of approach can be taken where you supervise both dog's feedings and reward them for staying away from each other until all the food is eaten. it may simply be easier if you always separated them. it only takes my dogs a few minutes to finish their meals.

i'm not saying you shouldn't use punishment at all. you can say "no" or calmly push back or restrain a dog that may be trying to steal another dog's food, but ultimately you want the dog to behave nicely on their own, not because you're making them do it. effectively suppressing undesirable behavior by trying to act like a dog doesn't always work so well if the person doing it has poor timing, isn't scary enough, too scary, or is bad at acting like a dog.

physically overpowering your dog with your own strength or with leashes and collars may be all that you can do in a particular moment in time, but when this is the only way you can restrict your dog's movements, the dog learns that strength is the most important factor in who gets their way. this is not the lesson you want them to learn. teach them that responding to your cues and giving you good behaviors results in them getting want they want.

also, please read this booklet by jean donaldson:

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB740

there is no quick fix to resource guarding. it can take a long time, ie several months, but the results are worth it. there are quick fixes for suppressing resource guarding, but some people are intimidated by those methods, and i personally don't like the potential bad side effects. it's up to you to decide how you want to handle this problem. i don't want to bully or guilt trip you into following my advise. i just want to offer another option, one which has worked for me in the past.

take care

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford