Lucky's Greatest Treasure

Thread: Lucky's Greatest Treasure

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultLucky's Greatest Treasure

(this has been posted in the past. i like to read it from time to time, so here it is.)

Lucky's Greatest Treasure

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog, Lucky. Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy. Inevitably someone would forget and something would come up missing. Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's favorite toys. Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer. Something told her she was going to die of this disease...she was just sure it was fatal. She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders.

The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her...what would happen to Lucky? Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought. He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him.

The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death. The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks.

Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully but the dog just drooped, whining and miserable. But finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom. Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap.

Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called. It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed. When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body felt heavy and hot. Panic soon gave way to laughter though when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed in every treasure Lucky owned! While she had slept the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement and back bringing his beloved mistress his favorite things in life. He had covered her with his love. Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again, walking further and further together every night.

It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free. Lucky? He still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

Author unknown

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lucky's Greatest Treasure

Thank you for posting that - it is beautiful and exactly what I needed to read

Lovely.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Yes I've read this before, but it is SO heartwarming........ makes me eyes get misty....

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

What a sweet story. It kind of reminded me of when I had Kasa (YL 1990-2002) and Teddy (cocker/golden 1992-1999). Teddy was so scared of thunderstorms and fireworks, he would shake in fear all day on the 4th. Nothing would calm him. Once when Teddy was shaking on the 4th of July, Kasa brought him her favorite toy, something she never did otherwise, as if to tell him, "Here play with this and it will get your mind off the noise." This convinced me that dogs can be compassionate.

risingphoenix is offline Member

They are so intuitive- last weekend my parents got some very bad news, and my mom spent the morning crying and sad. After a bit, our lab puppy Kallie (5 months) came up to my mom. My mom said she didn't know she was there, but all of a sudden, Kallie gently put her front paws on my mom's thighs. Then, she hoisted up her back legs so she was sitting in my mom's lap, and licked and licked and kissed her tears, trying to soothe her. Sometimes angels come from unexpected places.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the story, it made me teary, but in a good way. They are angels indeed.