A new member of the family - hip scores?

Thread: A new member of the family - hip scores?

sticks1977 is offline Member

DefaultA new member of the family - hip scores?

I posted this message in the Nutrition & Health forum, but someone suggested to post it here in LabChat as I might get a few more replies... here goes!

Hey all @ Just Labradors,

To give you a bit of background information before I get into the major details about this post, myself and my partner have both had dogs as a "family pet" when we were growing up. It has been a few years since we have been 'pet free' and we are now in our own home and it seems the right time to add to our little family.

We have been talking for some time about getting a dog for home mainly for company and also a loyal companion (as I know labs are!) so we decided to go searching for a labrador. We have been looking for up to 3 or 4 weeks now and have visited several breeders. I have also read up on the internet about some minor details and questions that I should ask when viewing and handling a puppy from the litter.

Yesterday, we visited a breeder in a country town here in Australia. The couple were really nice, laid back and wonderful people and they were taking good care of the litter of 10 (8 males and 2 females). They had the registration papers and the hip scores which was comforting - a few breeders we have been to have either had hip scores for one of the dogs, or had one of the dogs registered and the other not registered... so it was great to finally find someone that was going about it the right way!

The main question I have is in relation to the hip scores - probably the most common Q out there. When looking over the parents results, one of them had a score of 2:3 (Total of 5) and the other 7:0 (Total of 7) - is this rather normal or OK when taking into account getting a puppy from the litter?

Also, is there a certain age where I should get the puppy checked for his own hip and elbow scores? It seems that from some posts I have read it can often be a 'lucky dip' whether your pet will end up with hip problems later in life...

For the record, we put a deposit down on one of the puppies yesterday, he ended up choosing us as he was really eager to be picked up and once we did pick him up he was really affectionate and cuddly - a lot of the other puppies that we handled seemed to have no interest in what was happening.

We have already agreed on a name for him as well - "Fraser" - he is a chocolate labrador and I am sure that he is going to bring both of us heaps of happiness and also a little bit of frustration and testing our patience when he is first home - I am ready for the odd accident or two...

It is still two weeks until we pick him up from the breeder - he will be 8 weeks of age when we finally get him home. We made a trip down to the local pet supplies store after we paid our deposit and picked out a few basic items (colar, lead, food/drink bowl, security blanket, toys...) we still have to decide on a bed for him, but the people that work in the store were very helpful - they even said when we pick him up that we can bring him into the store!

Thanks to all in advance who reply, I am very new to this idea of 'puppy ownership' and it is something I am prepared for - there is heaps of information to help me and my partner if we need it, and it looks like this forum will be very handy to visit from time to time.

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A new member of the family - hip scores?

Congratulations on your new puppy! As you can see from my pic. I am partial to the chocolate pup's. There are many on this forum that can give you great advice, the only things that I know right off the top of my head is that you probably want a "crate", not a bed to begin with. They are one of the best training tools that you will ever have . Also I would not be taking the pup into any store before they have had all it's shots, which is around 12 wks. if I remember right! Goodluck with your new pup, remember when you are most frustrated, there is a reason they are so darn cute!!

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Very good advice posted..... I can't help you with the hip score though....... congrats on your new puppy ! I have 4 Labs, 3 are chocolates........ I too am sure that he will bring you tons of laughs and smiles ! Puppies are great !!! And they grow up to be your very best friend ! Can't wait to see pics of Frasier

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

The hips scores of the parents are passing.

http://www.geocities.com/bluegracepwd/hips.html

Laura

When looking over the parents results, one of them had a score of 2:3 (Total of 5) and the other 7:0 (Total of 7) - is this rather normal or OK when taking into account getting a puppy from the litter?

Also, is there a certain age where I should get the puppy checked for his own hip and elbow scores
    Realistically you dont want any more than 1/2 the breed average between the 2 scores. eg. average is 12 here in Australia, so you dont want more than a difference of 6 between the 2 scores. However its not totally bad, but I'd be interested in what the parents scores were behind the 7:0 part of the parents.

It is a requirement in Australia that all registered breeders must have both hip and elbow scores done on their breeding stock.

Also you do not state what the elbow scores are. They are just as important, if not, more so as a dog takes most of its weight through its front end.

If the puppy is just for a "pet" then I wouldnt be too worried about having it hip and elbow scored yourself. This is not done till they are at least 12 months of age). The dog has to be put under a general anesthesic for this procedure, and with this comes added risks. So unless the pup showed any forms of limping then I wouldnt do it unnecessarily IMO.

As was mentioned, do not take him into the store until he has had his needles. Really important !! And also dont take him to any off lead dog parks etc either until then.

Chocolate is my favourite colour and I am sure you are going to have lots of fun with your new bundle of joy.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the board from the Land Down Under and congrads on your puppy! This board does require one thing from you if you want people to actually to reply to you and that is PUPPY PICTURES !!! ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like you’re on the right track doing your research and most importantly asking questions on this board there are many great people on here that can help you through almost any situation.

As far as the supplies go I would hold off on a bed for your new addition. Willow ate her $70.00 bed in less than 24 hours.

I would invest in a crate and seriously consider crate training. There are plenty of postings on this board on how to crate train and if you need more advice just post a question.

A crate will keep both your puppy and your home safe. And give you a chance to keep your sanity from time to time.

Good luck !