Help with infection and limping

Thread: Help with infection and limping

DefaultHelp with infection and limping

While away the past two days, Bauer managed to get a cut in his armpit area, front left leg. I noticed him limping in the morning and was very curious, as there was nothing Wong when we went to bed. I found a scrape on his armpit. We cleaned it, but by midway it had progressed and looked as if it was getting infected (swollen, a little, red and a little yellow discharge - and he was limping more.

We took him to the local vet, they shaved it and cleaned it good. They put him on Simplicef and Rimadyl for the swelling in the area. Its been about 24 hours since going the vet, but not much change as far as the limp goes. He is pretty good on level surfaces and stairs, but one he gets on gravel or uneven pavement, he limps very badly.

I am concerned it could be something more. I am going to my local vet on Monday for a followup. The original vet said the would could definitely cause a limp, but I worry myself about it.

Anyone ever have a dog with a cut, scape that got infected - what were the results? He did not need stitches, it was more a a bad scrape, I just can't imagine it can cause that much of a limp??? The swelling has gone down a bit, and he just took his 2nd rimadyl.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help with infection and limping

I wouldn't mess with this, especially if you are seeing yellow puss. Is Simplicef an antibiotic?
    My first lab (about 20 years ago) had annal gland problems and rubbed a sore on the bottom of her tail. Knowing little at the time I trusted the vet I was using which turned out to be a big big mistake. He mishandled the whole thing and when I finally took her to the emergency vet hospital she needed her tail amputated because the infection had gotten into the bone.

Yes, Simplicef is an antibiotic, for dogs, for skin infections.

Yeah, once I saw puss, I took him in for it to be cleaned and evaluated. I just took him out, he looks good on flat pavement, does not limp when he gets up, but once he gets to the gravel in the yard - bammm, he limps really bad. He doesn't even want to walk on it. I checked his toes for damage or something in it as well, but nothing. I am thinking he banged the armpit area down towards the elbow on something really hard and it scratched him. I am just hoping the laceration is causing the limping...the vet thought it was, but i just worry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hope everything turns out okay.