**RANT** Highly Pi$$ed off **UPDATED at bottom**
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **RANT** Highly Pi$$ed off **UPDATED at bottom**

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Default**RANT** Highly Pi$$ed off **UPDATED at bottom**

One of my neighbors doesn't appear to be a terribly responsible person. BF comes occasionally and at least he finally mowed the yard for her. She has 3 dogs and two cats and they appear to be having their physical needs met but receive little or no attention as best I can tell.

This weekend the BF is over there and he has a really nice Harley. It's loud..ok that's cool. BTW they are not kids...probably in their 40s.

I'm ok with whatever they do and they have been quiet..until today. About mid morning I heard two loud booms...not like a shotgun but more like a cannon. Rattled the windows. Tal barked, Midnight continued toe sleep thru it and no worse for the wear.

Just a bit ago I took Tal outside with me to move the water hose into the back yard and set the sprinkler. They shot it off again. Saw the same puff of smoke and something up in the air. Scared the snot out of Tal and I don't blame him. He went to the back door and even had his tail tucked between his legs. I was on the phone with a friend who had called from Memphis. She could tell I was pissed and said she would call back tomorrow.

I heard those folks and wnet over there. They were getting on their motorcycles and I asked if they were the ones making the loud noise. Of course they denied it to the hilt..they were "about to leave". I said well maybe there were ghosts setting off what sounded like a cannon but I'd appreciate it if they would not do that again.

I brought Tal inside, I didn't let on one way or the other and after a few minutes I brought him back outside with his chuck it ball. Normall I would never throw it even for a minute in 90 degree heat but I wanted him to get over his fear quickly. So I threw it twice, he stayed out as I would expect and lay down in the shade while I reste the hose.

Forntuately the BF doesn't seem to be around much. But if this occurs again, I'm going to tell them I asked them before not to do this and done again I will file a complaint.

Sorry about the length of this but I will not have Tal scared to be in his own yard because of some fool.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: **RANT** Highly Pi$$ed off

Tough call, Guy. Very tough call. If she owns the home next to yours, tougher still. Unless they are violating an ordinance regarding noise abatement you're going to have to schmooze them and help Tal get familiar with the blast of the Harleys (assuming the start-up of the bikes caused the loud noise).

I know it is annoying and unsettling, but you'll have to find some happy ground somewhere with this. Hey... at least you don't have simians living across the street, darlin. Ya know?

Seamus and Flynn

Well you have apoint. But if it were just the motorcycles that would be one thing. Even cars that backfire don't sound that loud. Plus when they started their cycles up they sounded normal...a little loud but not a big deal. I wish I could have seen what that was.

I just tried to take Tal out to potty and he would not go beyond the door. I thought at first it might be the sprinkler. I snuck around, went in the front door and got a couple of his favorite treats and his chuck it ball. He came around. And went potty normally and we plated gonna get you for a few minutes. The back yard is shady at this time of day.

I changed the sprinkler and he darted right thru it a couple of times to get his ball so the sprinkler wasn't it. I hope I don't have to coax him out in back every time we go out there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

That sucks, and I don't blame you for not wanting Tal to be scared like that....... it totally sucks big time. You never know who your neighbors are, till you move in........ I don't know how you city folks can put up with the neighbors being SO close to you. Been there, done that, and I would never be able to cope with city living again, on account of people like these neighbors of yours..... it 's tough, like Nance says..... if you make too big of a stink, they are more than likely to be total a$$ holes and make even MORE noise ! I wish you luck.... hope it won't happen again.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Later this afternoon I took Tal out to potty and he did ok. Played and all like usual so hopefully it is a one time thing. What got my ire up was the effect on Tal. Hopefully it is just a one time thing. I wasn't confrontational with them at all and hopefully they will honor my request.

Every neighborhood has its problem child. Actually, in the two weeks I have been here that is the first time anything happened.

Tal doesn't react when he hears a loud motor....and I cannot imagine that being a motor.

BigYellowBoy Guest

We too have neighbors who do as they please. Only ours shoots his 22 at whatever-whenever... The sound bothers the dogs and cats the most. Horses could care less.
    I just pray it's not ever towards our house, where he could hit pets, kids, you know, that kinda thing. So far he hasn't shot it this way. But it does make a person a little uneasy.
    Hopefully you will be able to come to an understanding with your neighbor.
    Good Luck.
    Sue

patm is offline Senior Member

It's awful when you get neighbors that you don't care for. But I wouldn't threatend to report them just yet - it's probably better to try to make friends with them instead. Admire their Harleys and then bring up how the really loud bangs are really frightening you dogs and they don't even want to come out in the year anymore. Wonder out loud if there's anything that could be done .

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

There are going to be many times in Tal's life where something will frighten him. When this happens with my dogs, the first thing you need to do is ignore it. Pretend that it is no big deal and don't coddle. Human nature wants you to hug and comfort your pet but it can be counter productive.

As for neighbors, I don't know what to say. Chances are, over time, they will get to know you and Tal and be a little more respectful. Obviously, if loud noise making is something they do frequently, then you could ask them to warn you ahead of time.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    It's awful when you get neighbors that you don't care for. But I wouldn't threatend to report them just yet - it's probably better to try to make friends with them instead. Admire their Harleys and then bring up how the really loud bangs are really frightening you dogs and they don't even want to come out in the year anymore. Wonder out loud if there's anything that could be done .
    Funny you should say that because I have been thinking that very thing. And it would be easy because I have always thought that if I ever got a motorcycle it would be a Harley. I doubt I ever will because that isn't high on my priority list!

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life
    There are going to be many times in Tal's life where something will frighten him. When this happens with my dogs, the first thing you need to do is ignore it. Pretend that it is no big deal and don't coddle. Human nature wants you to hug and comfort your pet but it can be counter productive.
    That's basically what I did. I never coddled him and showed him no affection once it happened. I tried to get him out in the yard to play fetch. I eventually succeeded. I wish I could get him to where he is not afraid of loud noises because I know this won't be the last time he will hear a loud noise.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe they fired off left-over fire works? Let's hope you don't hear it again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast