Sobering and Sad Experience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sobering and Sad Experience

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSobering and Sad Experience

So, I took Baloo to the Vet yesterday afternoon so she could have a look at him and get us started on antibiotics for his UTI.

Now, those of you who read my "Bad News" thread, know that I was VERY upset when I found out Baloo had a UTI. I know it sounds stupid, but nothing's been "wrong" with him yet (he's never even had loose poop, for cripes sakes!) and it freaked me out.

Anyways, while at the vet I started talking to these two girls (late teens - early twenties..?) who were sitting in the waiting room, because they made a comment about how their lab pup was only 9 weeks and they couldn't believe Baloo was not even four months and already "so big".

So we're talking, and eventually I asked them why they were here. I almost shat myself when they told me. Apparently, their 9 week old puppy (who was bought from a PET STORE) had kennell cough, and PNEMONIA. They said his chance of surviving was around 50/50 at the moment.

I swear I think my jaw hit the floor. I'm freaking out over a UTI, and their puppy might die. Yikes.

I made a comment about how they probably shouldn't have bought a puppy from a pet store (I said in a nice way I promise, these girls were upset enough, I think) and they were like, "Yah, normally we would have bought from a breeder, but he was an impulse buy."

This is when I kinda clamed up HARD. batteries are an impulse buy. dashboard wipes are an impulse buy. Candy is an impulse buy.

PUPPIES ARE NOT IMPULSE BUYS!!!!

I hope that little Harley will be OK.

This experience just saddened me for so many reasons.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sobering and Sad Experience

Yikes! It would have been very hard for me to keep my mouth shut --- an impulse buy!! Sheesh!! I hope the little guy pulls through.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablimo
    Yikes! It would have been very hard for me to keep my mouth shut --- an impulse buy!! Sheesh!! I hope the little guy pulls through.
    It was hard, that's why I clammed up. If anything had come out at that moment, it would not have been nice. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

While I agree 100,000% that puppies are not impulse buys...Boomer sort of was. I mean, we had talked about having a dog for a long time, didn't know what kind we wanted, didn't research labs, bought from a backyard breeder, bought him the day we went to look at him and were completely unprepared for a puppy...basically we did EVERYTHING wrong possible. And since then, I have learned so much about responsible dog ownership, that I know I won't make that mistake again. Almost everyone I know has bought their dog the same way we did. I think it's the common "old fashioned" type of way. :-\ And for your first dog, I don't think you realize until you're pretty far into pet ownership that they deserve so much more than most people think.

I have to bite my tongue A LOT...and if someone I know got a lab, I just refer them to this site and pray they learn what I did! Tough situation to handle...knowing what we know!

I hear you loud and clear. Sometimes, I just need to walk away. I remember one fourth of July we found a lost dog. We couldn't reach the owners, but left a message. When we finally made contact and they came to get him (he was a nice black lab), they said, "oh, he always gets out and we just wait for him to come home." Holy crap, I almost punched the guy. >

I feel your frustration.

The thing is...no one is born with all the answers. None of us (unless raised by parents who share our beliefs) always knew that pet stores aren't the best place to go for puppies.

I remember as a child my favorite book was about a little Beagle puppy a dad bought his young daughter for Christmas. Now I see so many things wrong with that book, but I loved it as a child.

You live and you learn (if it's important to you).

Bird lovers beware....I am about to tell a story you will all HATE me for.
    When I was a small girl we had 2 parakeets. One day we came home and our cats had eaten the birds. Terrible right? OK, so I was at PetSmart the other day buying food when an employee walked up to another holding a parakeet. They talked for a few minutes about their birds at home and I swear to you...the only thing going through my head was my story about the cats eating my birds. I decided to keep my mouth shut, knowing that they would not appreciate it the same way I do. - They would probably run off to some bird forum and start a 15 page thread about me. :-[ LOL

The good news is...I know that birds are not for me and I'll never get another one.
    I also know that cats aren't for me either and hopefully will not fall in love with a cat lover.

People aren't born knowing the right way to buy a dog, train a dog, and live with a dog by nature. I try to be patient with people and hope that they will be patient with me when I am in a situation where I don't know the proper way to do things.

That said...don't seek out help from those who should know and then shoot down every suggestion they give. That really ticks me off. ;D

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Let try not to be toooo hard on these girls. They at least took their puppy to the vet. They really did seem to love it. The pet store know their business. They know people can't help but fall in love with a little puppy. They are in the business to make people make impulse buys. They don't care about the animals. This is who you should be upset with.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh I feel exactly as Monnie does. At least the girls are trying.

Seamus and Flynn

You guys have made some really good points -- I have to remember back when I was a first time pet owner -- some of the things I did still make me shudder. You learn and when we know better, we do better. I need to remember that and not be so judgmental of people when they ask questions or I see a situation that bothers me.

You are right, at least they are getting the puppy the medical attention it needs. That is what is important.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Plus you said that they were pretty upset so that tells me they were trying to do right by the little guy. If he pulls through I bet he will have a good home. Prayers for him and his owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast