A new vet ... yahoo!

Thread: A new vet ... yahoo!

DefaultA new vet ... yahoo!

We moved to our new home 10 months ago, and quickly found a vet through referrals from family and friends. We were only mildly satisfied with that vet, and have been searching for a new one. Competence is always paramount, but I also need to have a good relationship. I need them to know Ivy and Raleigh, and greet them very warmly. And, most importantly, I don't play the "assistant" game ... when we go see the vet, we want to see the vet ... not the intern.

Anyhoo ... after our umpteenth "meet and greet" yesterday, I think we have a winner!!! We had an appointment for a nail trim. When we drove in I noted several positive safety features, along with a convenient entryway. When we entered, the vet tech came out from behind the desk and said "You must be Ivy and Raleigh. I'm Christine, I am the one who spoke with you on the phone", and she immediately dropped down to make I&R's acquaintance. The nail trim went smoothly, then we were offered a tour. Christine offered to have two more techs hold I&R's leashes during the tour, so that I could poke my head in various places. We met the staff, we met the vets who weren't with patients ... everyone was very comfortable ... big-dog people if you know what I mean. They talked to us about the equipment, and the level of services that they could do in-house. It was nice that they took the effort to get to know us. The other patients had a friendly, satisfied relationship with the staff too.

And the biggest plus ... this new vet is just over 1 mile from the house ... I am in heaven at the prospect of having a walkable vet appointment.

So, I think we will switch to this new vet. I&R have an annual appointment every January so, barring any unforeseen problems, that will be our next big appointment ... the "competency test" as SU calls it.

I am a very happy camper!!! ;D ;D ;D

P.S. we weighed Raleigh, and we have FINALLY broken the 100lb. barrier ... he is a beautifully fit 99.5 lbs!!! Yahoo!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: A new vet ... yahoo!

Isn't that a wonderful feeling. I love our vet and all of the other vets in the office we have seen and staff have been wonderful also. They are only a couple of miles so it makes it so nice.

We are also blessed to have a vet clinic about 4 miles away that is open 365 a year. Regular Sunday appointments and if you are a regular patient you don't get charged the emergency fee. M-Sat they are open 7am to 8pm and Sun 8-6. So Cinnamon goes once a year for a nail trim or kennel cough shot. About a month ago she got real sick on Sunday and they got her in right away.

So I know how much a good relationship with your vet means. I hope you continue to like them.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great vet! Congrats on your new vet

Competence is always paramount, but I also need to have a good relationship. I need them to know Ivy and Raleigh, and greet them very warmly.
    That is SO TRUE! That is how I felt in the search for "the right vet". I need to have a good relationship with the vet and "know" him/her

YAY Raleigh! Congrats on your new weight!

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Emma the Lab

Competence is always paramount, but I also need to have a good relationship. I need them to know Ivy and Raleigh, and greet them very warmly.
    That is SO TRUE! That is how I felt in the search for "the right vet". I need to have a good relationship with the vet and "know" him/her
    I hear ya! ;D I felt like this was finally an office that was totally comfortable with Ivy and Raleigh. I think some of the offices we visited were a little unnerved ... I definitely got the uncomfortable vibe regarding Raleigh ... some people think he's big and scary. And I think some of the offices had a very cold feeling about them ... there was not a lot of greeting, petting, and talking to the dogs.

Bottom line: I&R really (really!) LOVE to see people, and it just makes me smile when people LOVE them back ... THAT'S what we look for in the staff at the vet's office.

Yay!
    I love mine and understand how important it is to feel completely comfortable with your vet.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

That is great, isn't it -- when you are made to feel so welcome. I love my vet's office. They have had the same staff for years and the girls know me. Yesterday, in fact, I called to make an appointment to have Haylee's anal glands expressed -- they said, oh, just bring her right down, we'll take care of it right away for you. I appreciate that so much. Of course, we have paid a small fortune in vet bills over the years, but that is OK. Their level of care is outstanding and Dr. Weber is a straight shooter and will not waste your time or money if he honestly doesn't feel it will benefit the animal. I know he will be retiring soon and then I don't know what I'll do. He has a partner, a female vet, who I love as well and I'm hoping she'll stay and take over the practice. I hope this new vet continues to bring you peace and happiness!