Labs and Leather Couches
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labs and Leather Couches

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultLabs and Leather Couches

Iím looking at getting a new living room set , couch and love seat and well Willow is a couch potato actually she thinks the love seat it her personal couch.. ;D

I have seen pictures on this site of labs on leather couches and wondered if there was any issue with this I usually keep her nails pretty trimmed or am I taking too much of a chance of Willow putting a hole in it?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labs and Leather Couches

Wow! I wouldn't attempt to answer that without knowing Willow. I suppose the first question is your concern about a hole from her nails by simply getting on and off. i.e. no history of biting furniture, trying to dig in sofa or loveseat. If that is the case, I would take the risk. If there is a history of digging or biting, I would get that resolved frst.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

We have had an Ethan Allen leather Barrister sofa for 5 years ... dogs are on it every day, and it has held up beautifully. EA still carries it, and it still costs about $2,000. http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...5&subSelect=0#

We searched high and low for a good leather sofa ... every store we went in, I ran my fingernails across the leather seat ... if it left a scratch or mark from MY nails, we knew it would be a no-go with the dogs. The Ethan Allen sofas were the only ones we found in a style we liked that did not scratch or mark. If it gets dirty at all, I just do a quick wipe-down with a barely-moist paper towel. SOOOOO easy ... I'll never own fabric again!

Five years later, and still going strong ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

She has destroyed a lot of things but luckily enough she has not done any damage to my couches except getting them dirty. :-\

She doesnít dig or chew on the cushions. Maybe if I left her alone she would.. she did destroy a $75 dog bed I got her in 24 hours :P but she is crated when we are not home.

labby is offline Senior Member

I have leather and frankly I wouldn't have anything else.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I have leather and frankly I wouldn't have anything else.
    What she said

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

We have leather and have had no problems. I do keep a cover where Pricess lays just to make sure. The times she has been on the uncovered couch or loveseat she has not hurt it.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have no experience with leather couches (& didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night** ;D). But after tiring of removing dog hair from the cloth upholstery of my car, I traded it in for a Honda 2 dr with leather seats and a sunroof -- I call it my Puffmobile. No problems with the leather in 8k miles, through almost all of which Puff was riding along.

For non-US or non TV viewers:
    **On TV in the US, there's an ad in which a man shows amazing expertise, for example in surgery; someone comments on his skill as a surgeon and he says, "Oh, I'm not a surgeon -- but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night." -- as if that decision shows superior judgment.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I don't have a leather couch as it hasn't needed to be replaced in the 3 years we have had Miss Happy Butt, however I do have leather recliners she lays in and they have held up beautifully. When the couch needs to be replaced it will be with leather. Make sure your leather is dyed through just not on top layer.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We had leather before the dogs, and through 3 pups growing up, storing them, moving them through 3 houses, they are still in pretty good shape...

Just make sure you don't skimp and get cheap leather, that I imagine COULD be a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast