Shedding ... have mercy on me ... UPDATED at bottom w/ 2 pics ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding ... have mercy on me ... UPDATED at bottom w/ 2 pics ...

DefaultShedding ... have mercy on me ... UPDATED at bottom w/ 2 pics ...

I have never ... I mean NEVER ... seen Raleigh shedding like he is right now. The undercoat that he is shedding is impressive in it's volume and distribution ... so here is my question: We moved to the DC area last September ... so this past winter was Raleigh's first "real" winter ... first snow, etc. Raleigh LOVED the winter, took his naps in the snow WHILE it was still snowing. Is the winter responsible for this shocking amount of undercoat? He started blowing it when the thermometer passed 90 for the first time this summer. Shriek!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shedding ... have mercy on me ...

Mine blew coat in the spring, and have just finished blowing coat again now. 10 days of mind boggling mass amounts of hair. 10 days of brushing them twice a day only to still have mind boggling mass amounts of hair on the floors.

I don't think I've ever seen it this bad, and this wasn't anyone's first winter. Sorry, I don't have a conclusive answer to your winter question, but I'm sure someone might.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Good question about the winter causing the excessive shedding. Mine are doing the same thing... I've never seen anything like it from them. We had a very harsh winter, too.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Newman, 6 year old male, bred and raised n MN. Actually had a milder winter this year. But we are having an abnormal heat wave here. He has been blowing his cost for three weeks no with no sign of it letting up. When I had him for a week, I brushed him out everyday, about a hlaf hour effort. When I got done, he really looked good. 24 hours later, you cold see the patches of undercoat that were working their way up through his outer coat, andit didn't take close examination. With each brushing, I filled a standard grocery bag, i.e. before I packed it down.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. There's comfort in company ... :P

Just a couple quick pics to share ... I'm focusing on different areas of Raleigh's coat each day but, as you all know, it seems like a futile never-ending task. There's always more, and I never feel like I get to a point where I can say "Phew. We're done, and Raleigh looks great!". He's doing the "tuft style" of shedding, where the undercoat works it's way out in clumps. He has always done "tuft style" on some areas of his body ... but never on his whole body at once!!! Again, have mercy on me! LOL! ;D

Today was "flank day" ... this was the hair that came off his back legs ...

Tomorrow I will concentrate on the little tufts that are starting to separate around his neck and chest ...

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shedding ... have mercy on me ... UPDATED at bottom w/ 2 pics ...

I could probably get tons of hair off of Riley, but everytime I try, she makes a big game out of it and I don't accomplish much. I take her out back, play for a while to try to tire her out. She has a favorite spot in the shade where she lays after playtime, so I go to her after she's calmed down and try to brush. The energy cycle starts all over again! Any tips on keeping her still and calm while brushing?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

One stroke at a time!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Is there anywhere on her body that she will accept brushing and not energize? I would start there and very slowly try to enlarge the area. Not the first time, could take all season depending on her.

Then I have seenthese contraptions where the dog is actually suspended in a sling type device, and head held up by the collar. Seems almost cruel, but other than the restraint part, I do not think they are painfull.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy5475
    I could probably get tons of hair off of Riley, but everytime I try, she makes a big game out of it and I don't accomplish much. I take her out back, play for a while to try to tire her out. She has a favorite spot in the shade where she lays after playtime, so I go to her after she's calmed down and try to brush. The energy cycle starts all over again! Any tips on keeping her still and calm while brushing?
    This is why we do one body part at a time. Raleigh is cooperative during brushing, and I want to keep it that way. A little every day ...

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Buddy has been shedding almost since we got him on May 6th. The undercoat has been coming out in insane amounts, but it worked it's way out in sections. First the shoulders, the next week along the sides, then the back, the neck, the back legs, now the tail. I brush him at least a little every day, and on weekends he gets a good half-hour all over from head to toe, concentrating where the clumps are. The zoom groom gets out huge amount of loose long hair, but not the soft downy undercoat. That I need the slicker for - and he hates the slicker. :-\

I can't imagine what it's like to have more than one blowing coat like this!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

That's a lot of fur! You can soon make your own Raleigh-sweater!

Emma is shedding big time too now.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast