What dogs remember
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What dogs remember

DefaultWhat dogs remember

Last Sunday my trainer told me dogs only remember the bad things that happens to them. Is this true? So upsetting if it is...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What dogs remember

It would seem to me that if all a dog remembers is all the bad things, then that would make one unhappy dog. As all of our three pooches seem to be happy most of the time, I would assume that they at least have had some very happy times. My Abbey has a big love for her Vet. We only go to see him a few times a year, but when we head in the direction of his practice, she is very excited. When we arrive there, I have to hold her back from leaping out of the car. Although she is happy when we go other places, she is not as excitable as she is when we visit her beloved Vet. ;D

egh ur right! I think it worried me, so that I didnt even stop to think about examples of Merlin obviously remembering good things, Like Visiting certaing people, or driving certain places. I wonder why she thinks that they only remember bad things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

You can tell your trainer she's obviously wrong.

Emma remembers where my sis lived 7 years ago! When we walk by there now and then she still stays in front of the door into that particular house. There is lots of houses there which looks alike. But she never takes the wrong building. And my sister only lived in that apartment for about 6 months, 7 years ago. That amaze me every time.

She also remember where the sweet old lady, who became our friend lived. She moved away 1 ½ year ago (and died last winter). The sweet lady always got Emma treats and still she stops outside her balcony and waits for the lady to come out and throw treats to her.

Another thing she remembers is where all the petstores are located. : But we go there pretty often...

(edited to correct spelling)
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I think your trainer is wrong.

Maggie and Daisy know where every entrance to every hiking trail we've ever been. God forbid we drive by the entrance to lake were we swim them.

The more I think about this, if dogs didn't remember happy things we could'nt train them. Positive reinforcemnet is all about the dogs ability to remember good things. Isn't it?
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

We lost track of Abbey's vet for over twelve months a few years ago. He had left the practice. I didn't find out until I took Abbey to the practice for a minor appointment. It was then that I found out that he had left. Abbey was so strange. She wouldn't interact with the Vet we saw. She stood facing the door with her back to the Vet. When we left and I put her in the car, she wouldn't look at me. Poor girl was heart-broken. When we got home, it was more of the same. I did everything to find out where Abbey's Vet had gone, even to the point of ringing every person in the phone book with the same last name. When we finally tracked him down after twelve months, I took Abbey to see him at the practice that he was now working at. The reunion between them was so funny and I took my camera to catch it on film. She was spinning in circles and had the biggest Labby grin on her face. ;D In the end, she wouldn't leave his side and I might as well have not been in the room. It is really amazing that someone would think that they only remember the bad things. ???

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

The more I think about this, if dogs didn't remember happy things we could'nt train them. Positive reinforcemnet is all about the dogs ability to remember good things. Isn't it?
    That is so true! And, I have to say, it kinda makes me wonder about your trainer and how she is motivating her dogs. :-\

I love these stories of dogs remembering happy things. :-*

What I wonder about is dogs who act like they have had terrible experiences when you KNOW they haven't. Angus, for example. He is terrified of anything new that comes into the house. Luggage, chairs, computer boxes, you name it. It can even be something that has always been in the house but has just been moved to a different location.

He has tucked his tail and run several times this week. I was bringing some chairs that were upstairs to the lower level. Scary! We bought a new computer and had the box in the office before we set it up. Scary! New visitors get to him as well. The realtor we had over this week - Scary!

What is it with him? ??? I have had him since he was a wee baby. I can say with absolute certainty that he has never had an experience that would warrant this kind of behavior. I watched that boy like a hawk from the time he came home. He was never even in a room by himself, unless he was crated, until he was well over a year old.

Maybe he was just born spooky.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Boomer definitely remembers positive things! We go to the beach a lot, and a few years ago, Boomer found a white rock on the beach that he took a liking to. We would throw it at the edge of the water, and he would have to stick his face down in the water to pick it up. This was his favorite game in the world. Well, we lost the rock a few years ago when he didn't find it immediately and the waves washed it away.

EVERY TIME we go to the beach, he is walking up and down the edge of the water, sticking his head in convinced he's going to finally find that rock. He thinks we're still playing the game! It's been 3 years!

I think we have quite a lot of evidence that your trainer is wrong! I wonder what her explanation would be to why she thinks what she does.

Scout and friends Guest

Scout remembers her breeder and her breeders husband. We've seen them at obedience classes and at a trial. Scout melts at the sound of their voices or when she spots them. Imprinting? There's no doubt in my mind that she has happy memories of them because she gets very excited to say hello when we run into each other.

She got batted across the nose by a cat when she was a pup. Took her completely by surprise, this paw coming out and *slap* on the nose. That's a memory that has stayed with her also - the pet food store where it happened, and cats in general. She's not fond of cats and didn't like going into that store for the longest time.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I think from all these example, that trainer is wrong !! The Dog Whisperer says all the time that dogs only live in the moment..... I'm not sold on that one either.... I believe dogs have memories from when they were pups. Good AND bad.............

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast