I'm so Pi$$ed off right now......(vent)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so Pi$$ed off right now......(vent)

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm so Pi$$ed off right now......(vent)

Rowan and I headed out on the walking trail for a nice leisurely walk. Or so I thought. We get five minutes into our walk and meet up with a lady who has a large size 'poodle' of some sort - she calls it... it ignores her. Instead, it just finished crapping on the trail and she has walked past it.... the dog then decides to come and instigate Rowan who is on leash with a prong collar. The lady continues walking and makes no attempt to leash her dog. (I don't think she even had one). Meanwhile, Rowan has gone from a sit into a choking frenzy while I am trying to control her. The lady says, 'sorry about that' and continues walking. Yup, like she really meant it! >

Then we get down further and there is a border collie from down the road running after us and barking. The thing is sneaky and I don't trust it one bit. AGain, unleashed.... this time no owner. I yell.. and begin to pick up rocks. As you can imagine.. what Rowan is doing again! The last time I sprained my finger trying to restrain Rowan over THIS same dog.

And if that wasn't enough.... we meet up with the first dog again. The same thing happens.... and the lady gives me the annoyed look. LIKE what the H! My dog is on a leash... yours is doing whatever the hell it wants and you are making my life H#LL.. or so I am thinking....

What is wrong with people? I am so mad right now I'd like to come unglued on people. I feel for Rowan as she has to deal with the correction of someone elses stupidity and dog! > > >
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I'm so Pi$$ed off right now......(vent)

some people just think they can do whatever they please no matter who gets the rath of what their doing. in this case you AND rowan get the rath!
    some people!!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately, some people are beyond inconsiderate. I'd be fuming over this, too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I hear ya...just boggles the mind.

I understand your frustration, but have you ever considered using these moments as wonderful training tools?

Just keep walking with Rowan and see how everything goes. Why pick up rocks and make a moment which doesn't need to be tense into a very stressful situation?

I know that people can be frustrating, but I have been on walks with one or more of my boys when strays come and walk alongside us and there is no problem unless the stray exhibits agressive behavior. That is how I caught two of my first foster dogs. The puppies had been dumped at a secluded air strip. AC knew about them but could not get close enough to catch them. They set traps but the dogs avoided them so I began walking Leo at the airstrip until the dumped dogs approached us of their own free will. Leo was already used to behaving himself on walks when strays were walking alongside so he was fine with the whole thing.

You have a choke collar, you can use it to walk through thouse moments and teach Rowan how to avoid distraction. Sounds like you could both benefit from a nice stress free walk. The less stress you internalize, the less stress gets passed down the leash.

I'm sorry you had a bad walk.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

That is the problem... this stray is very sneaky and unpredicatable and has no 'intention' of walking nice beside us. There is a police woman who also walks her dogs regularly on the trail and also has concerns about this particular dog.

Don't get me wrong ~ I am not in the habit of picking up rocks but if it is to defend myself and OR my dog I will do it in a heart beat. I was once bitten by a dog while riding my bike and the owner sat and watched it. I ended up needing rabie shots as they had the dog put down and didn't tell the vet that it bit somebody. So you can understand my lack of 'sympathy' for other people and their 'untrustworthy' dogs.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Rowan is just a cutie pie!!!

Had to say that, and I'm sorry you had a bad walk... I think that people like those you are talking about are why some of the trails around here say no dogs... It only takes a few bad apples to ruin a good thing (or something like that!! :P )

Does animal control know about the said border collie. I would think that if a Police officer knows about the dog, something can be done, right? Just a thought!

Hope your next walk goes more smoothly for you!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Dawson Creek Girl,

I have to agree with the other poster. Use encounters with others and their dogs as training opportunities. I search for them with Hershey Kisses. Most people I encounter enjoy seeing the training effort happen, Most will ask if they can pet the dog as they approach. I ask them to pass by, let me reward HK, and then come back. Their return is another opportunity to teach her not to jump and sit to be pet. I really search for these chances.

As far as the stray is concerned, it seems like a call to your local animal control might be in order.
    The woman leaves the poop, if you have a pick up law, remind her if it happens again.

I had the following encounter last week. Walking trail though wooded area. HK was doing great on heel and recall. Probably one of our best sesions to date. Three older women come up the trail, no dogs. I call HK to me andhave her sit. We are waiting for them to pass. One of the women says, ' That dog should be on a leash, and not on this trail.' I am on one knee as she started talking to make sue HK doesn't break. I respond, 'The dog has not threatened you in any way. There is no leash law here if the dog is under control.' She responds, 'There is no reason for dogs. Only bad things happen. People get bitten by dogs. They should all be put down.' One of the other women, now obviously really upset says, 'I suppose 'all' means my dog also? Don't call me to walk with you again.' and turns to walk back to where they came from. The third woman joins the one that left, leaving the first one alone. She then huffed and continued on her path. Victory for the dogs!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

If it were me, in your shoes, I'd carry pepper spray and a long driving whip .....the kind you use on a buggy, or even longer, a lunging whip. I'd warn the woman that owns that dog, you have pepper spray and if her dogs approaches you, YOU WILL use it ! I'd also log in a complaint with the AC or police dept. that the dog is scaring you, you think he may attack you and your dog.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

I would have told her exactly what I thought of her and her dog. I also would carry pepper spray. I used to carry mace and used it on a very aggressive Corgi. Now it's illegal in Maryland and I can't find another canister.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast