Microchips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microchips

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultMicrochips

I'm getting Billie chipped on Monday. Can someone explain this stuff to me? I think I understand there are two kinds of chips, right? Do you sign up with some kind of service? I'm a little confused.

I freaked out after she snapped her collar and took off Sunday and I want her chipped besides her having her tags with the county. If (God forbid) she gets loose again, I really want to maximize the chances of her getting back to me ASAP. BTW, I clip to two collars now...paranoia is my middle name when we're walking but I know anything is possible, like me dropping the leash or something.

What does everyone here do once their dog is chipped?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Microchips

The main chips here in the US are Avid and Home Again. Whatever chip you use, should be registered. When you have the chip done, make sure whoever is doing it gives you the paperwork.

There are 4 registries that will register chips. Home Again, Avid and AKC CAR will register each other's chips. Plus the National Dog Registry will also register any chips. All have various fees which you should look into. Just know that the more places the chip is registered, the better chance of getting the dog back.

Laura

BudGirl8 Guest

Thanks Laura. The chip the vet uses is Avid if I remember correctly. I'll probably go ahead and register with everyone that you mentioned if the fees are affordable - I assume they're yearly.

I appreciate the info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think only the HA registry is yearly, but don't quote me. I use Avid chips.

Laura

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

When Frankie got chipped last month, the vet gave us two options to register him. I could use one or both. The AKC charged $12 I think, the other one I did was free. I forget who it was though.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Hi there

Both of my Labs have Avid. I don't think I paid to register....but well worth it!!!!

Avid chips come registered to the person who ordered them. When I get my chips, all the chips are in my name. I keep them that way. I tell my people that Avid will call me, so they better keep me updated on their address and phone number otherwise I will place the dog with someone else if I can't get a hold of them. My puppy people are very good about updating me with any new contact info.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Try a leather collar with a brass buckle. They are expensive but you would be hard pushed to ever snap one.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

To correct one thing. Home Again has two ways to register. One time for $15+, and another with an annual charge. They will galdly take your bank account or credit card number to debit it each year atomatically with no fuss on your part. Yeh! Right! I took the basic one time. All that I ma after is a registry animal control can access, and a tag with my phone number, or one of the regisries phone number and Chip ID number.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BudGirl8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Try a leather collar with a brass buckle. They are expensive but you would be hard pushed to ever snap one.
    Well...this was her prong that popped. I don't know if I didn't have it snapped all the way or what. I was a little sleepy and probably not paying enough attention. Stupid I know. I do have a full leather collar with a metal buckle as her regular collar. I clip them together now, though it negates most of the effect of the prong and she pulls like a lunatic. I'm so scared of her getting loose again that I'm afraid to try anything else though. If I could figure out a way to use two leashes I probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    To correct one thing. Home Again has two ways to register. One time for $15+, and another with an annual charge. They will galdly take your bank account or credit card number to debit it each year atomatically with no fuss on your part. Yeh! Right! I took the basic one time. All that I ma after is a registry animal control can access, and a tag with my phone number, or one of the regisries phone number and Chip ID number.
    I will do the one time registration. NO one will have my cc or debit card on file to auto charge. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast