Welcome Trooper
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Trooper

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

DefaultWelcome Trooper

I have held off for a little over a week to introduce Trooper. I wanted to make sure he was going to survive before letting everyone fall in love with him.

It is a long story, but I will try to condense it. Trooper (the name I gave him) was taken by his owners to the emergency vet around June 26 because he was not feeling well. A quick test confirmed that he has parvo. Treatment was going to be almost $3000 at the e-vet and the family could not even come close to affording that. They suggested that the family take him to a local vet to be put down. Trooper is only 6 months old

The family took him to one of the vets I know and ask for him to be put down. The vet took him in the back and sedated him, getting ready for the euthanasia injection. Troopers family left him to be disposed of. The vet went back to finish the deed and said Trooper looked up as if to say, "please help me". That was it, the vet could not put him down.

It was the same day she had put Max down for me and she knew I was mourning him, but she also knew I had an empty space available. I knew I could not have a dog with parvo here with all the seniors, and tearfully said I could not take him. Then she ask if he was healthier could I fit him in? Well, yes, I guess so. We formed a plan. Trooper spent the next 6 days staying at the vets office. They treated him for the parvo and although he lost a LOT of weight, he started to do better. I picked him up on Monday and put him in the quarantine area that I hurriedly made for him. It is not fancy, but it is sterile and can be easily kept clean and sanitized.

I have been caring for him for 4 days now and he is doing better each day. Today he finally had two semi solid stools and that is a very good sign. He is taking his meds happily and eating three meals of hamburger and rice with gusto. I would like to see him drink a bit more, but I have been adding water to he solid food so he is getting some. I have IV's on hand just in case.

I have to be very careful not to let anything get to the other dogs, so I wear a gown and boots and rubber gloves when I am in with him. He thinks I look scary, but at least I can pet him a little and tell him things are going to be better. He will have to stay in there as long as he is contagious. I will have to do some research to see how long that will be, but at least a couple weeks.

If you have a moment some time, can you send a prayer or good thought for Trooper? He has been through so much in his young life. He deserves to have a happy forever when he is feeling better.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Welcome Trooper

He's ADORABLE!!! All the best to him and you I hope he continues to recover and you can find him a great home.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

What a sweetie! Prayers to you and Trooper .... hope Trooper makes a full recovery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How sad that they just turned their back on him, so happy the vet saw better of Trooper and saved his life. Joe once again I commend you for all you do.

Trooper you have my thoughts and prayers, get well soon boy.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

What a trooper he is! Prayers and healin thoughts on the way Joe

k8show is offline Senior Member

Joe, He looks so cute and lovable already. I can't wait to see pictures of him when he's back to being "lab-chubby" and all riled up!
    Kate
    Katie and Boo

pj

what a perfect name for a wonderful boy!
    sending good thoughts and prayers out to him and thanks to you joe for helping him!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Hang in there Trooper!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

LOTS and lots of good thoughts for Trooper.

Joe, does his former family know he's still alive?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Ahh, he is a cutie. How said his family just left him -- I know it posed a financial difficulty to his former owners but, I believe, there are always ways to make it work if you want it bad enough -- I guess they didn't. I'm so happy he is now with you and has a chance for a bright future. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast