Normal??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal??

DefaultNormal??

is it normal for parent dogs to attack their puppies? i have an eleven week old pup and tonight i took her by my friends who i got her from, i let her into the back yard to play with the parents, who are both really mellow and non agressive normally, and they attacked my puppy like they were trying to kill her, they drew blood on her in a few places. My friend has 4 dogs total and only the parents attacked her. The father attacked her first, and while i was putting him in his kennel the mom came and attacked, they mom's attack was way more aggressive too. I was wondering if this is normal behavior? struck me as kinda odd that 2 mellow labs would attack their offspring uprevoked.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Normal??

It's not normal at all, and totally unacceptable. Not normal for parents of a puppy, and it wouldn't be normal for any adult dog to attack a puppy like you describe. And certainly not for a male (dad) attack a female puppy! If I was you I wouldn't bring the puppy back to that place if they aren't locked up.

Hope your puppy is OK.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I strongly suggest that you tell your friend to get their dogs fixed. These dogs should NOT be bred. Breeding from unstable, aggressive parents is disgustingly irresponsible. Please point out to them all the healthy, stable, friendly Labs who get put down in shelters simply because there are not enough homes for them. :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree with Trickster.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Having been through an experience with a lab pup being seriously injured by an older lab, I agree with anything the others have said. BUT! What were the pup and the attacking dog doing immediately before the attack. Was there anything to provoke it? Was the pup going after the adults dogs' food? toy? climbing on top? anything? Was this the first introduction since separation? It is important for you and the owner of the other two dogs to know what happened before the attack. Maybe permanent separation is the only answer. Maybe the pup broke the adults number one rule and just has to learn. Maybe the owners have to prepare for the visits.

We know what caused our incident. It was the owners' (ours) fault. The two dogs are now best buddies. To the point that the greeting I used to get from my son's dog when I would go over to visit. It used to be, a jump, licked face and hands, and a sit begging for a treat (since I genreally had one for him). Now it is a charge around me, through me, over me, whatever it takes to see if Hershey is behind me. The same thing happens when he comes over without his dog. When they are together, it is high gear play time, chasing each other, playing tug of war with anything they can find, and when one collapses, the other lays down right beside the first.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I strongly suggest that you tell your friend to get their dogs fixed. These dogs should NOT be bred. Breeding from unstable, aggressive parents is disgustingly irresponsible. Please point out to them all the healthy, stable, friendly Labs who get put down in shelters simply because there are not enough homes for them. :-\
    Agreed.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Rosie and I often differ in approaches to the issues raised in the Puppy forum, but here, she's 1000% correct. This sire and this dam are dynamite. Please neuter.

I partially agree with Endofile... What were the puppy and adult dogs doing. When a puppy is eleven weeks old, they can be pretty annoying. Jumping, biting with their sharp teeth, and being a real pain! This is why you CANNOT trust a big dog with a puppy. I don't care how GOOD this dog seems, they are so much bigger that that puppy and all it takes is ONE SECOND and the puppy could be DEAD! NO ONE should let an eleven week old pup out with a big dog unless that big dog is on a leash (or the pup). They are still animals and can NEVER be completely trusted.

I have had to deal with this first hand and I will NEVER EVER EVER let a pup out with a big dog, especially a pack of big dogs EVER again. You CANNOT trust them with these little babies. PERIOD.... As I said before, all it takes in ONE second and this pup could have been killed!

Quote Originally Posted by dostafflabs
    I partially agree with Endofile... What were the puppy and adult dogs doing. When a puppy is eleven weeks old, they can be pretty annoying. Jumping, biting with their sharp teeth, and being a real pain! This is why you CANNOT trust a big dog with a puppy. I don't care how GOOD this dog seems, they are so much bigger that that puppy and all it takes is ONE SECOND and the puppy could be DEAD! NO ONE should let an eleven week old pup out with a big dog unless that big dog is on a leash (or the pup). They are still animals and can NEVER be completely trusted.

I have had to deal with this first hand and I will NEVER EVER EVER let a pup out with a big dog, especially a pack of big dogs EVER again. You CANNOT trust them with these little babies. PERIOD.... As I said before, all it takes in ONE second and this pup could have been killed!
    I completely disagree. While I don't leave a young puppy out with adults unsupervised, because they can get hurt accidently while playing, there is nothing a puppy can do that would warrant it being attacked!! Corrected, yes but not attacked. My puppies have jumped all over my older dogs, tug on them and steal their toys. The older dogs ignore them, play with them or walk away. If I couldn't trust my dog's temperment, it wouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I agree with this.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

an adult dog correcting a puppy is one thing but regardless of how the puppy and the adult dogs were interacting or even if the puppy was annoying the adult dogs prior to the attacks, such a harsh reaction and treatment of a puppy, drawing blood in multiple places is very disturbing. definately NOT normal.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast