Getting a runt??
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a runt??

DefaultGetting a runt??

Hey everyone. Pretty excited to join your club... Well I have been talking to a breeder and I was looking into getting a lab mix to keep it on the small side, but now I think I am just going to go with a runt. She has one that was born at 3 inches and she has nursed it up. It is eating real food, using the doggy door, so it is making great progress. She is having it checked by the vet in 2 weeks and said she wouldnt even think about letting it go for another 4. It is 6 weeks old right now. Is there any reason why you think I shouldn't do this. Also, do they usually let the runts go for cheaper. She wants 500 and it is a female. She said she doesn't think it will get much over 50 lbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Getting a runt??

Welcome to the forum! I don't know too much about breeding and any long term issues with the "runt" of the litter. There are many knowledgable people on this forum who will give you very good advice.

Well a runt is generally an unhealthy puppy, whereas what you are looking at is just the smallest in the litter.

Well, I know the smallest puppy in Ruby's litter ended up being bigger then my Ruby and she's 80lbs.

If you are looking for a smallish labrador, look for a breeder who breeds on the small side. I know a number of stud dogs who produce small.

Beware any breeder that charges a different ammount of money for the pups in one litter or gives a discount because its the last puppy.

Be more concerned with the fact the parents have had their hips/eyes/elbows cleared by qualified persons and that puppies are raised in a clean, healthy stimulating way. If you are looking at size alone, a lab is not for you.

Labs are large breed dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think that's all good advice.

FWIW, Angus was one of the smallest of his litter. He still turned out to be a large dog, at around 65 pounds.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow was the “runt “of the litter. She actually did have a small health problem because she was small she had a worm issue which the breeder took care of and told me this up front with documentation from the Vet.

How ever she made up for it she is now 70 lbs and you would never know she was the “runt” don’t let that cute sad small puppy in the corner look fool you!

As far as calm Willow is about a calm as a gorilla in a banana factory, she doesn’t sleep…EVER she just recharges !!! But I wouldn’t giver her up for the world.

Good luck !!

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

Sam was the smallest of his litter, and the pup that was picked on. No one wanted him, he was the only one left.
    And I'm always a sucker for those ones.

He's turned out to be the most amazing, social boy. He weights about 89lbs, and is pretty average in height.
    Wouldn't change him for the world.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Boo was the smallest in her litter and she is still small at about 53#. If you can see the parents, that will give you a better idea as to the size possibility. Boo is her mother's size so even being the smallest, she still grew to one of her parents size.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo was half the size of the other puppies in the litter when we brought him home at 10 weeks. He caught up really fast, and now he's 72 lbs. of solid muscle. I love the little ones.

Well it also comes from a very small mother. barbshouseoflabs.com is the site. She is getting it checked out by the vet in 2 weeks. But maybe it would just be smarter to get one of the normal sized pups. Idk, i guess you guys didn't really answer my question. is there any danger in getting the smaller pup. Is there a good chance of health problems?

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Most reputable breeders charge the same amount for all puppies. Even show puppies and "pet" puppies are usually the same price, so the idea of "letting it go for cheaper" is disturbing to me, to say the least.

Also, I notice on that Web site that there is no indication of hip and elbow clearances, or eye and heart testing. There is no information on what work they do with the dogs--show titles, hunt test or field trial, obedience, agility, tracking, therapy dog. Hell, I don't even see a Canine Good Citizen certificate on any of those dogs.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as a "silver" or "charcoal" Lab. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

I would strongly recommend that you read the articles on this Web site about looking for a reputable breeder before you make your decision. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html#breeding Especially see this: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder.html Seriously.

The red flags thrown up by that Web site go way, way beyond any potential health problems in getting a smaller puppy.

I'd also strongly suggest that you get in touch with your local Lab club (in the Phoenix area it's http://www.papagolrc.com/); they are usually terrific resources to learn about reputable breeders.

If you really want a smaller dog, then why not adopt a Lab mix puppy at the shelter? Or if you want the certainty of knowing exactly how big the dog will be, you might consider adopting a slightly older Lab from a rescue organization. Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue's Web site is http://www.dlrrphoenix.org/.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast