A little Advice/Reassurance Please.....I'm Worried....**UPDATE IN FIRST POST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little Advice/Reassurance Please.....I'm Worried....**UPDATE IN FIRST POST

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultA little Advice/Reassurance Please.....I'm Worried....**UPDATE IN FIRST POST

Update @ 2:35 pm July 5,2007

I went home at lunch and was able to collect a sample. It was only about 1 and a half tablespoons worth so I really hope that's enough for the tests they need to do.

Dropped it off at the Vet's shortly thereafter. She said that she would call me tommorrow morning with the results.

I was upset that he might have a UTI, and now I'm hoping that's all it is... with my luck he'll have some kind of horrible, untreatable kidney disease....

I'm worried about Baloo. Now, I am a worrier, and many times it is difficult for me to tell when there is justification for my worrying.. (my vet calls me "the puppy hypochondriac" :P)

So I'll lay out the situation and tell me what you think.

A couple weeks ago, Baloo peed in the house a few times (after being accident-free for about three weeks). I know he's still young, but it was odd... it was like he was peeing before he even realized he had to go... he seemed surprised, if that makes sense. He has since stopped that, the last "accident" was probably a week and a half ago.

I always go home at lunch to let him out to pee. The other day when I went home, he drank like a fish. He usually drinks quite a bit at lunch, but this was even more than usual.

He then peed in his crate before Dan could get home to let him out. He has never done that, not even as an 8 week old pup. And he peed a lot, he was drenched. :-\

Yesterday when I went home at lunch I stopped him from drinking so much, and he didn't pee in the crate. But, he clearly wanted to keep drinking, he only stopped because I asked him to.

Sometimes his pee is very yellow, most times it is almost clear. And sometimes it seems as if he goes into the "pee position" but doesn't pee. Now, when he started having the peeing accidents in the house, we started using higher value treats when he peed outside. Sometimes he'll ask to go outside, go into "the position" and not pee, but then come running towards me, looking for treats....

So ultimately, I'm worried about the weird peeing, and the seemingly insatiable (at times) thirst. Could it be due to a growth spurt or something? Bladder hasn't caught up with the rest of him?? I should also mention that it hasn't been that hot around here, usually sitting around 22-25 degrees celsius.

He seems bright and alert, poops are ok (sometimes a little on the softer side, but firm probably 85% of the time) He is 16 weeks, and I weighed him this morning and he is 30 lbs.

Please help before I give myself an ulcer... :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: A little Advice/Reassurance Please.....I'm Worried....

I would think about collecting a urine sample and checking for a UTI. On the other hand Bear had accidents until until about 5 months old

labby is offline Senior Member

^
    |
    |

What he said. If its an UTI they're very treatable.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ditto above two responses. That's what it sounds like.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Would that cause the excessive drinking too?
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

I posted a thread about Breed doing essentially the same thing... She SOAKED the inside of her crate, not once but twice..and she is 3 1/2 years old (hasnt had accident in house in at least a year). Our friends on here said the same thing.. prob a UTI .. I called the vet and She said could very well be the problem.. She also told me that for Breed to have one is a little less likely since she is older, but that younger puppies are more prone to getting them.. We cant get Breed to the vet until monday but Id call your vet too... good luck

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree with the UTI as well. Hope Baloo feels better soon.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

You mentioned excessive drinking. Excessive drinking would logically lead to excessive urination. If Baloo is not on any type of medication, like prednisone, that would cause excessive drinking then you really need to have a thorough Vet exam. If it's not a urinary tract infection there may be another problem. Make sure you mention the excessive drinking to your Vet.
    Keep us posted.

Hi there. I had some problems with Ranger too. He is 7 months old now and seems to be doing okay. Ranger would have excessive drinking from time to time. But, he would never wet in his crate. He was having accidents in the house though. I took in a urine sample and my vet said his urine was very diluted. He thought he wasn't getting enough water and then when he did get to drink, he was drinking way too much at once. I always had to make sure that Ranger didn't drink an excessive amount before going back in his crate. But, made sure he had water available at all times when he would be staying out of his crate. My vet also put him on meds in case he had a kidney infection. He got better as time went on. So, I think you should definitely take in a urine sample just in case he has an infection. Hopefully it is just a stage he is going through like it seems it was with Ranger. Good luck! Tina

Just got off the phone with the vet, I will try to collect a sample at lunch and take it to her this aft.

I mentioned the drinking and such, she said that if she finds anything in the urinalysis (sp?) that she'll get him in for a thorough exam. He was just there on June 22nd, and he is scheduled to go back July 13th, but if he needs to go in between, so be it.

any advice on how to collect a urine sample? She wants mid-stream, and I know I need to clean the opening of his sheath before taking him out, any ideas re: technique?
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast