Question for everyone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for everyone

DefaultQuestion for everyone

My question is.. I have a yellow lab about 3 years old and when he plays hard he acts like he gets too hot and cant walk. By cant walk I mean his back legs give out and he cant move. I dont think its Hip Disp he is not in any pain. after he cools down usally about 15 minutes he is up and going again with no problems.
    Has anyone else had this problem? If so what is it?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for everyone

Sounds like Exercise Induced Collapse to me...

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html

What is the weather like when you are doing this? If its hot or humid your really taking a chance exercising him hard in the heat. Always make sure he has some water around. At this time of year think about going outside in long underwear and the biggest winter coat you own. If you wouldn't run around like that don't let your dog.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

what does your vet say?

A dog that collapses is one I'd be taking in for a checkup..

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    At this time of year think about going outside in long underwear and the biggest winter coat you own. If you wouldn't run around like that don't let your dog.
    Olie
    Okay where do you live where you would need a winter coat and long johns this ime of year ??? LOL ;D But I agree.. You should make sure the weather conditions are appropriate for play.. Its been in the 90s here and we dont take the dogs out for play until after 7pm or so when it cools down a bit and the sun isnt so hot...

But on the other hand my moms lab does the same thing.. he is LAZY and its funny to watch him... He is a big boy though.. Almost 100 lb black lab with a head the size of a watermelon ;D and when Max goes for a walk, he will be fine for the first few blocks (tugging getting all excited) then he starts to slow down and by the time he gets back home he is dragging his rear legs and can barely hold himself up.. He will only play for a little while and hen he will just "collapse" and pant and refuse to get up.. He has been to the vet and he is a perfectlly healty dog.. Hes just lazy.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Sounds like Exercise Induced Collapse to me...

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html
    Ditto what Trickster said. My old lab had this - at first we thought it was seizures, until we found the right vet.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

When I take him out its not hot but he is so crazy he gets so hot, he does have water. It only happens when he gets too hot. So it does sound like something exsercise induced but i am not familar with this. The vet said his nostrils have some extra skin on them maybe this could be impacting his temp and breathing. Thank you all for you responses.

I read the article on EIC this fit my dog to a tee. thanks for the info!!!!!

Okay where do you live where you would need a winter coat and long johns this ime of year ??? LOL ;D But I agree.. You should make sure the weather conditions are appropriate for play.. Its been in the 90s here and we dont take the dogs out for play until after 7pm or so when it cools down a bit and the sun isnt so hot...

But on the other hand my moms lab does the same thing.. he is LAZY and its funny to watch him... He is a big boy though.. Almost 100 lb black lab with a head the size of a watermelon ;D and when Max goes for a walk, he will be fine for the first few blocks (tugging getting all excited) then he starts to slow down and by the time he gets back home he is dragging his rear legs and can barely hold himself up.. He will only play for a little while and hen he will just "collapse" and pant and refuse to get up.. He has been to the vet and he is a perfectlly healty dog.. Hes just lazy.

That's my point for your dog its like he is in long johns and a big winter coat.
    Olie
    [/quote]

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

As trickster said, EIC
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast