Worried about Apollo's hips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about Apollo's hips

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultWorried about Apollo's hips

I got to see Apollo today and I noticed that when he sits and rolls over and stuff he is kinda sensitive about his hips. he doesnt yelp when I touch his hips, but he moves like he has arthritis, like his hips are stiff (its kinda hard to describe). I guess I just didnt notice it before, but since I havent been seeing him every day recently (because I am still at my moms house, sam and apollo are at sams aunts house) I really noticed it now that I saw him again, my mom did too.

How do I find out if Apollo has or is prone to hip displasia? An x-ray? I am concearned about his hips and while they dont seem to be causing him much of an issue now, I want to make sure I catch it early if he really does have HD. I surely hope he does not. :-\
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Worried about Apollo's hips

How old is he??

A vet will have no problem determining hip dysplasia. You should make an appointment if you are concerned about it.

Apollo is a little over a year old. I think you are right and that a trip to the vet is in order. :P So they diagnose it with an X-ray then? Say Apollo has HD, what would the 'treatment' be? Surgery? Physical therapy? Boy I really hope its just me being paranoid and nothing serious like HD :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

A lot of people opt for the surgery.

How is Apollo living at Sam's aunt's? Is he living outside or in? Is it possible he could have been injured and no one saw it? Could he have been hit by a car without anyone noticing?

If the answer to all of these questions is no I would bet it would be hip dysplasia if he is actually tender and sensative.

Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Page
    A lot of people opt for the surgery.

How is Apollo living at Sam's aunt's? Is he living outside or in? Is it possible he could have been injured and no one saw it? Could he have been hit by a car without anyone noticing?

If the answer to all of these questions is no I would bet it would be hip dysplasia if he is actually tender and sensative.

Please keep us posted.
    Apollo is staying inside, nope he couldnt have been hit by a car because the only time he goes outside is when someone is walking him on his leash. Hes not actually tender or sensitive when I touch his hips. He doesnt care if I grab his hip or if I try and rotate his hip in the socket, its just that when he sits and sometimes when he goes to lay down his movement in his hips just seems awkward. Its really hard to describe :-\ I will be meeting Gabbysmom on Sunday so maybe she can see how Apollo is moving around in his hips and perhaps she can describe it better then I can. He shows NO signs of pain whatsoever, its just that his hips seem 'stiff' sometimes when he goes to roll over or something like that. Does this make sense?

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Is he maybe just stiff from sitting down? I know Yeller and Abby both sometimes get up a little stiff legged if they've been lying down too long or in weird spots. Hopefully it's not HD, but only your vet can tell you unfortunately.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

hmmm...how can I describe this (i really need to get a picture). When he sits down his legs kind of splay out to the sides (does this make sense?) and when I say apollo 'over' (which means roll onto your back) he lays down and then kinda flops onto his side (like he trys to avoid moving his hips too much). Im sorry I cant describe this better. :-\ I dont know if I am being paranoid or what, but my mom also noticed that he seems to sit kind of odd.

I am meeting gabbysmom (Laura) on sunday and I think that her puppers (gabby) has HD, so maybe she give her opinion on how Apollo moves. If needed I'll take him in to get an x-ray asap. Im not too familiar with the symptoms/signs of HD.....Im going to go look them up right now.

That's great news!

I was picturing painful movement. If he's just awkward, that's something completely different. Reuben was awkward like that around that age. He would not down without rolling onto his side and he always sat funny because of funky growth spurts at that age. He was just like a colt with limbs everywhere and he didn't know where to put them. It was funny to see because all of my other Labs are so graceful...I really thought something could have been wrong with him but he's totally fine, normal, and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Page
    That's great news!

I was picturing painful movement. If he's just awkward, that's something completely different. Reuben was awkward like that around that age. He would not down without rolling onto his side and he always sat funny because of funky growth spurts at that age. He was just like a colt with limbs everywhere and he didn't know where to put them. It was funny to see because all of my other Labs are so graceful...I really thought something could have been wrong with him but he's totally fine, normal, and healthy.

That is a relief to hear that it could be nothing. I think I will still get an x-ray of his hips though just to make sure if they are okay. Apollo IS still growing a bit and filling out, perhaps that could be why he sits awkwardly. He is quite awkward lol! Just like a colt with limbs everywhere, like you said! ;D

Abbey was born with HD and has never been able to tolerate any manipulation of the hips. She tolerates a lot of pain, but that is her limit. Getting Abbey X-rayed was the first step that I took when I thought that something wasn't right. Abbey is now 9 and although HD has been a part of her life, it hasn't been all of her life. Get Apollo's X-rays done first and see what comes of that. These days, there are so many options out there for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast