Our story thus far: Wesley was limping badly last weekend. It started Friday and was really terrible (and gut-wrenching for me) on Saturday. We limit walking to poop/pee trips only and NO running or jumping. It's not hard to curtail his activities because he's miserable anyway.
Monday nite, we finally got to the vet.
Vet suspects a broken toe. But he's not 100% sure and wants to do an x-ray. X-ray cost is +/- $250. If it's broken, he wants to set it, of course. And then x-ray at the mid-point of the 6-8 wks of healing to check progress..... If it's not broken, it merely heals on its own. If it's broken and we ignore it, we could be looking at arthritic problems down the pike.
I go away with some painkillers for Wes and the instructions to check my schedule and call for an appt.
Tuesday - Foot seems better. Hardly any limp at all. I give him a painkiller in the morning as instructed, but it seems kinda superfluous. Wesley and his dogpal Ranger (a Dal) are playing happily. Wesley leaps 4-5" off the ground, much to my shock, and comes down without any ill effect at all.
Today - Wesley is fit as a fiddle. No limping. And I can touch/feel/poke/prod the toe in question without any reaction at all. I skip the painkiller and let him go about his day as normal.
Question: Do you make the x-ray appt or just figure it was a sprain that has healed on its own with four days of taking it easy?
If he's not limping at all and does not seem painful then I probably would just leave it alone and not x-ray. If he again shows signs of pain I would x-ray, but I am an extreme worrywart.
BTW, $250.00 for a foot x-ray seems really high to me. I'm glad he's better.
Wow, after jumping like that and not having any obvious pain, I would surely hesitate to do the x-ray. If you were able to handle the toe today after no pain med, I'd be prone to think it may be healing on its own.
Jackie, Champ, and Buddy
I thank I'd be inclined to forget the Xray. Unless he starts limping again, I would just keep an eye on it.
I must have missed your original post. I'm sorry Wes has been under the weather. As said, I also think $250 is excessive. I'm wondering if a broken toe on a dog really needs tending anyway. In humans the only toe that needs setting is the big toe. I've broken both little toes several times and am very arthritic and have no problems with my feet. I think I would do some research on the internet and try and get another opinion. If Wes is himself today he may just have sprained something.
I would tell the vet you would like to cancel the xray and watch to see if there are any more issues in the coming days. If there is any indication of a limp again, I would go straight to the xray. If not, go out to dinner with your savings.
I have him take it easy and skip the x-ray. There isn't much they can do for a broken toe. Unless of course, he starts limping again.
Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"
I think if he seems like it's fine now...? Don't fix it if it ain't broken?
I'm torn. I know they don't set human toes. But then you said in the thread the other day that dog toes are weight-bearing and so a little different. ???
Why don't you call the vet back and tell him the story and see what he advises? Maybe call another vet too for a second opinion?
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever
When Henery broke his toe(s), they were set and splinted with a rigid splint each time. I'm not sure if it makes a difference which toe it is, or not. He also wouldn't put any weight at all on the foot with the broken toe each time... it sounds like maybe Wes just sprained his toe then??
Wow...$250 for an x-ray? I am thankful for the $50 x-rays where I am then.
I'd be inclined to wait and see.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003