Thoughts/Comments please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts/Comments please

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThoughts/Comments please

If you go to Zoe's beach pics, at the end, you'll see a husky.
    Male, neutered. His name is Sky. Beautiful dog who, for some reason, "loves" ??? Zoe.

Whenever he's at the beach, he will immediately go to her, no matter how many other dogs are around. He'll swim next to her (which is okay) try to climb on her back while she's swimming so that she actually goes under water (which is not okay).

When she is on the sandy area, he'll try to initiate play, but Zoe isn't interested. He continually does his play bow, and eventually will try to climb on Zoe (i.e. hump) and Zoe does the "air snap" to warn him off. Sky doesn't pay attention to her warning.

I'm afraid this will escalate into a fight one day.

Today, I finally told Sky's owner (he was about 50 feet away! :) ...well, actually I yelled (LOL) "Zoe does not like Sky's behavior; please come and leash him (Zoe was leashed at this time). He tries to recall Sky but Sky doesn't want anything to do w/master; he wants Zoe. Owner doesn't come to get Sky or try to leash him.

So I go between Sky & Zoe to break them up, thinking what would happen if Sky decides to bite me. I nudged Sky with my knee to get him off of Zoe and took Zoe into the water. Sky finally runs to owner.

Zoe had a poop : she was probably stressed. oh lah.

You'd do the same as I did, yes? Oh, please say yes. LOL
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thoughts/Comments please

Each time this happens, I would leash Sky with Zoe's leash, march him back to the owner and ask him to keep him away from Zoe.

Paula is offline Senior Member

I think what you did was fine. However I think the owner needs to learn to control his dog if he's going to take him out in public like that. I feel bad for poor Zoe being harassed by Sky. By the way Sky is a beautiful boy, but his owner needs to take some control.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Each time this happens, I would leash Sky with Zoe's leash, march him back to the owner and ask him to keep him away from Zoe.
    When I have a problem with a dog, this is what I do too...only I usually don't use a leash, I just lead them by their collar. Returning someone's dog to them usually gets the point across.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Poor Zoe.

This happens sometimes with boys and Emma too. They tend to fall in love with her right away. That feeling is NEVER mutual, as long as there is humping involved.

I would have done the same. The owner should keep his dog under control. He can't let him run at the beach if he humps other dogs like that and not listen to his owner.

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You did the right thing. As Zoe's mom it's your responsibility to protect her from anything that may harm her, including unwanted advances from suitors.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Hm. I kind of like the idea of taking control of the other dog and marching him/her back to the owner.

Sky and Zoe have known each other for quite a while, haven't they?

Seamus and Flynn

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    When I have a problem with a dog, this is what I do too...only I usually don't use a leash, I just lead them by their collar. Returning someone's dog to them usually gets the point across.
    Some dogs really don't like their collars being handled - if you don't know the dog, for safety's sake, use a leash.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I think you did the right thing.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    Hm. I kind of like the idea of taking control of the other dog and marching him/her back to the owner.

Sky and Zoe have known each other for quite a while, haven't they?
    yes they have, and it's always the same scenario. But only today did I see Zoe to the air snap.

Good idea about the leash thing! I like that. The owner will know that Sky's behavior, and the owner's noncompliance, is not tolerable. Thanks.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast