A night of firsts for Caleb...

Thread: A night of firsts for Caleb...

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultA night of firsts for Caleb...

The Stink Pot had a new learning exprerience last nigt- we took him over the Califon to the fireman's carnival. OMG- our little guy handled all the noise, flashing lights and crowds like a trooper! An added lesson- fireworks. According to a website I checked, they were supposed to be Friday night. "Unfortunately", they were last night, which meant there were "teasers" being set off periodically. Caleb startled a couple of times, then looked around to see what was making all the noise. That was it. Obviously, we left way before the show started- no way did we want him there for that. We also ran into a ton of kids from the school I work at. All school year long, they'd see me with Caleb, but couldn't pet him (school rules), so he really got mobbed last night. Also by little ones in strollers, walking, etc. He sat real nice for the older kids, but the toddlers- my God, he figured out it was best to lay down! I couldn't believe it- it took Mick 7 years to automatically lay down when toddlers wanted to pet him. Passing strollers- no problem. The first couple of kids he tried to kiss, but then he just walked past them, even when a little one,about 1 year old, was reaching out trying to pet him. That one got a sniff, but "With me" was all it took to turn him away. He easliy passed the "walking through a crowd" part of the CGC test, as well as "sitting nicely to be petted". He loved watching the rides as they whirled by. I think his favorite was the one that reminds me of an octopus. Everytime it "swooshed", he'd look up with the most intent expression watching the cars go up and down. Before we left, I made Ken buy Caleb a cream pop. Also a first. He's had ice cream in a dish, but never on a stick. He was so funny- it was frozen solid, so he couldn't bite it off like he wanted. So he sat there licking it in that frantic way he has, all the while watching everything that was going on around him (might miss something really important, you know). We were so proud of our "little" guy last night that we both had tears in our eyes. Another first- we went in the truck, so for the first time, Caleb rode in the crate in the back (the truck has a cap and the crate gets bungeed down). He's been in the crate back there while I was working, but has nver ridden in it. It took him maybe 5-10 minutes to adjust and lay down.
    Provided it doesn't rain, Caleb will be experiencing another first this afternoon- the annual parade in town.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A night of firsts for Caleb...

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

That's great that Caleb did so well at the carnival! I'm sure he'll do just as well today at the parade. And I bet he just loves the attention!

Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigYellowBoy Guest

Sounds like he did well! Way to go Caleb!