Hot Spots

Thread: Hot Spots

DefaultHot Spots

I have a 6 1/2 yr old yellow lab and she gets hot spots just about every year in spring/early summer and in the fall. I have no idea why and no idea what to do to treat them or prevent them. When I have brought her to the vet they put her on Prednisone which does NOTHING except make her act weird and pee all over the house, and I refuse to give that to her again. I have started to come to the conclusion that it may be caused by an allergy to something in the grass and or pond during these seasons. Does anyone have any suggestions on, first of all how to treat what she has now, and how to possibly prevent them in the future. What should I put on what she has now that won't make her sick if she licks?
    Thanks,
    Tonya

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Puebla is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hot Spots

Someone once told me to put plain (brown) Listerine and Gold Bond powder on Puebla's hot spots. It works really well to get rid of them.

Thanks for the suggestion I've never heard of that one before. It really works? I would think the Listerine would burn?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Skubaa Guest

My last dog got one that was huge! I have pics on the other computer. It was about 3-4 inches in diameter if not more under the fur. I was told it can be an allergic reaction to seasonal allergies. They can develop allegies just like humans can. We used a prescription powder that helped dry it up and put her on benedryl when our own allergies started up. We did test her at one point and she was allergic to about half of the things they tested her for. They can concoct a cocktail to relieve the specific allergies. We went the benedryl route.

I would get to the vet if you haven't already. I think they also put her on a course of antibiotics with the open wound.

Good Luck

DG