Do neutered male dogs dislike intact male dogs?

Thread: Do neutered male dogs dislike intact male dogs?

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo neutered male dogs dislike intact male dogs?

Apollo met Sam's brother's chocolate lab, Sherman today. Apollo growled and actually bared his teeth at Sherman! Apollo has NEVER acted that way with another dog! Apollo is neutered, but Sherman is not, do you think that could be why Apollo acted this way towards Sherman? Im kinda bummed because I was hoping that Apollo and Sherman could be pals, I guess I was wrong! Has anyone on here ever had issues with your neutered male being defensive towards an intact male? (I should also mention that sherman is 30lbs heavier then apollo, perhaps his size also intimidated 'Pollo?)

Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do neutered male dogs dislike intact male dogs?

I am going to take a guess and say that it was the size more than the fact he was intact.

Angus is an equal-opportunity growler. Kahunas or no kahunas. He doesn't play favorites. :P But he does seem to consistently feel threatened by dogs bigger than him.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

It could be possible, but maybe Apollo just didn't like Sherman, or you were nervous about their interaction and that went down the leash (so to speak) to Apollo. My neutered boy routinely plays with an intact Chessie male...they love each other and play great - we met at agility class and they hang out there. I also have an intact boy in my house now, and my boy and he are just about best friends and love to play with each other. I haven't had a problem, I'm sure others have.

Not all dogs like all other dogs...there may be some that just rub your dog the wrong way. Now, I would have corrected the behavior, not sure what you did. Also, if you introduce them together, get a game going or try to just have fun and not worry about the meeting. Be cautious, but not nervous. Keep them together doing basic obedience skills, play games, etc. From what I have read, Apollo seems to have some insecurities, and maybe he was just intimidated and needs his confidence built up in many situations, including around other dogs you want him to play with. How did Sherman react?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You know how boys are. :

I agree that it could be the size difference or the anticipation you had for the meeting travelling down the lead. It could have been any number of countless things.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMA
    It could be possible, but maybe Apollo just didn't like Sherman, or you were nervous about their interaction and that went down the leash (so to speak) to Apollo. My neutered boy routinely plays with an intact Chessie male...they love each other and play great - we met at agility class and they hang out there. I also have an intact boy in my house now, and my boy and he are just about best friends and love to play with each other. I haven't had a problem, I'm sure others have.

Not all dogs like all other dogs...there may be some that just rub your dog the wrong way. Now, I would have corrected the behavior, not sure what you did. Also, if you introduce them together, get a game going or try to just have fun and not worry about the meeting. Be cautious, but not nervous. Keep them together doing basic obedience skills, play games, etc. From what I have read, Apollo seems to have some insecurities, and maybe he was just intimidated and needs his confidence built up in many situations, including around other dogs you want him to play with. How did Sherman react?
    Apollo is an insecure dog (with human males) but with male dogs he seems quite confident and 'alpha'. I dont really know how Apollo's growling behavior was corrected (I wasnt there) but I hope that Sam corrected it, I dont want Apollo to think its 'okay' to act that way. As for how Sherman reacted, i think Sam said Sherman didnt care, he just kept being hyper and wanting to play (sherman is about 2 months younger then Apollo, so he's 10 months old, still very much a 'puppy').

I like your suggestions about getting them together to do basic obedience and games, hopefully that will work. I found it odd that APOLLO was the one growling, Apollo went onto SHERMANS 'turf' (sherman's home) so wouldnt you think that sherman would be the one growling? Very odd Very odd
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I say it is because he was intact. The only times I have seen Moose (who is big) take an issue with a dog is with one that was intact. I am very cautious with him around intact dogs.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Yep, many many dogs (male/female, neutered or not) dislike intact males.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

It very well could be because Sherman is intact. It could also just be dislike! We don't like everyone we meet, though we are not as obvious about our feelings as dogs are.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Hmmm...I suppose it could be. Also, dogs communicate SO MUCH without use even knowing, so Sherman could have been giving Apollo some attitude that may or may not have had anything to do with the fact that he's not neutered.

Boomer plays with my parent's intact Red Heeler / Border Collie mix and has never once had a growling issue...but then Jack is smaller than Boomer and also does not appear to be giving Boomer any attitude. Boomer's personality is also super-passive, so I think if there had been some growling, Boomer would just walk away.

Perhaps it could just be chalked up to a personality clash?

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I had a foster once (neutered older black male) that absolutely hated intact males. He seemed to get along with every other dog. The only times I saw him growl and bare his teeth were around intact males.