Macadamia contracted parvo...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Macadamia contracted parvo...

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

DefaultMacadamia contracted parvo...

hi all, haven't been back here in a while, but I wanted to share the latest that's befallen us since I was on.

My first vet experience to speak of turned out to be with parvo. I just got my first job a little over two weeks ago. A week later Max was acting listless and uninterested in food. I thot at first she was just sick with a tummy upset or something - I wasn't too worried. But she refused food for two days and started throwing up. Then the second day I got home late to find she was trying to lay in her water dish. I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning. We got there and the vet did the parvo test, which she informed us could take up to fifteen minutes to get the results. We didn't wait half that long before she came back saying it was showing positive already: she explained we could try "conservative" treatment - where they would give her fluids subcutaneously, and we could take her home,but her chances would be 50/50.
    Or she could stay to receive IV fluids, which offered a much higher chance of recovery. I left her lying on the exam room table while I went to fill out a payment method - she estimated the bill would range $300-$500. I stopped by on my way to work the next two days, she was apathetic but still managed a wiggle or two to show she was glad to see me. Saturday an Sunday they closed; I was unable to visit her. Come Monday she was ready to go home - I stepped into the vet's office and first thing I hear is her yelping away in the back. She was frantic to see me - I was so relieved to see her acting like her normal energetic self! Today she's still not quite herself: for one thing, she's lost weight and acts starved. I have to wait a day -small bland meals thru out the day- till I can boost her kibble amount back to normal. But just this morning I went picking blackberries (they're plentiful and luscious this year) and the troop came along and helped pick. Literally! All three had their heads in the brambles pulling off the fruit and relishing it. So adorable, I wish I had a camera.
    Saerius has not come down with it so far; the day Macadamia went in, the vet gave us Tamiflex (sp?) which is supposed to stop the virus from replicating. We also put him on the Mannatech product Ambrotose immediately Max was diagnosed. The vet was great about it with her as well; I asked if they'd give the Ambrotose to her and they didn't make a fuss.
    the vet bill totalled a little over $400. I'm just thankful this didn't end with disastrous results.
    As for how she contracted it, my guess is the stray hound that came around about two weeks ago.

Anyhow, my baby girl is doing well. I'd like to hear other's experiences with parvo.

So who's gonna throw the first stone? No, I didn't have her vaccinated. I'd appreciate if you kept those negative comments to yourself, please. Because you know what? I still am not going to vaccinate. Vaccination is not the way to deal with these diseases, IMO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Macadamia contracted parvo...

geez.

I hope you swamp everything that Max has touched with bleach as well.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

I am glad to hear Macadamia survived the parvo. It is a terrible thing for a puppy to come down with. My second lab, Candy, was 4 months old when she came down with it. She was due for her third shot that week. She was hospitalized for three days and unfortunately she died. I don't wish this illness on anyone.

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Very very glad that Macadamia is okay!! That must've been frightening, I can't imagine!

But I am curious...how do you prevent a dog from getting life-threatening diseases if you don't vaccinate? I haven't heard of any alternatives myself...

???

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janna and Boomer

But I am curious...how do you prevent a dog from getting life-threatening diseases if you don't vaccinate? I haven't heard of any alternatives myself...

???
    a)cross your fingers and pray

b)never let the dog outside, and never (as the owner) come into contact with other dogs without scrubbing your hands and changing your clothing before interacting with your dog.

You dodged a bullet -

I would hope you would reconsider the you stance on vaccines - unfortunately Macadamia doesn't have a voice to be heard and counts on you to do the right thing

What do you think she would want

I doubt she ever wants to live through again what she did with Parvo....

Off my soapbox - you baited - I bit

But I witness sadness everyday from folks who don't have the resources they need to treat the pets they love - I

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I don't vaccinate either (except for Rabies) now that the boys are older. We titer. But I do think it's important for them to receive the puppy vacs, and the booster at one year. Past that, I think they have built an immunity, as the titers show.

I sure hope she makes a full recovery.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

You really don't believe in parvo vaccinations? Why...if you don't mind sharing?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I'm definitely glad she survived. There was a good chance that she may not have, and she overcame those odds, thank goodness.

You'll have to watch her pretty closely, since heart disease can arise as a sequela to parvoviral infections. Not good.

Also remember that she may now shed the virus for 2 months or even more, according to several studies, so please try to keep her from going into public places with dog traffic. It is our responsibility to our own dogs to keep them healthy, but it is also our responsibility as dog owners to help keep other peoples' dogs healthy when our own dogs have contagious diseases, especially when they can prove to be deadly.

And as far as public health is concerned, I hope you are planning on vaccinating for rabies at least. I don't agree with a lot of the vaccines out there, nor do I agree with overvaccinating with the "core vaccines," but to not vaccinate against such a deadly disease (for animals and humans alike) would be doing a disservice to the entire community, not just you or your dog.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Dani is offline Senior Member

Wow. I was with ya right up until the last part. Poor Macadamia. And you need to not allow your dogs ANYWHERE there is other dogs for at least 2 months while she's still sheding the virus. Bleaching everything in site and making sure that even you are as sanitary as possible when you leave your property is important if you think even for a nanosecond that you will come into contact with someone else's dogs. I've experienced Parvo twice. I saw it run through our shelter and kill over 30 innocent puppies and dogs that were UNVACCINATED. I also saw my friend deal with it with 3 of our foster puppies and alas, one of them didn't make it.

It's horrible. We spent days bleaching everything including their yard and they were not allowed to foster for almost 6 months. That is hard.

You do have a responsibility to your dogs. I don't agree with not vaccinating. Would you not vaccinate your child?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast