Substitute for dog ramp

Thread: Substitute for dog ramp

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultSubstitute for dog ramp

I bought a ramp from DogRamp.com 2 years ago when Buddy had his first rear leg surgery. I never allowed him to jump into the car after it healed. He always used the ramp in and out.
    After this second surgery on 5-31-07, the ramp became more of a hazard than a help. 3 times that I tried to get him to use it, he hurt himself. So now I'm forced to make his appts. around one of my sons being home to lift him up into the car and the vet provides a tech to get him back in when we leave. He seems to be ok using the ramp to get out (except when he fell out a week or so ago).
    He no longer can leap up onto my bed either so now I miss out on his company when I watch the evening news.
    My neighbor has a hot tub in his yard. I've been staring at the two vinyl steps he uses to get in and out of it. The height looked just right. It's strong enough to hold a 250lb. human as opposed to all those flimsy dog steps I see all over and they are by no means cheap. Some are way over $100 and they only support a 20 lb. dog.
    I borrowed the neighbor's steps and tried them out on my little SUV. Perfect!!! the height was just right. The distance from the top step to the seat of the car was just like a 3rd step.
    I carried the steps inside and tried them next to my bed on the hardwood floor. There is some kind of rubber feet on his steps so they didn't slide and he was able to get on and off the bed without a problem. I am so excited!!!
    I searched on line and found the perfect set for $49.00 and $8.95 S&H !! My neighbor said his were around $90 at the pool supply store. So they are on their way. I should have them some time next week.
    I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has a problem with a lame leg or arthritis, etc.
    I'll report again after they arrive!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Substitute for dog ramp

Those steps sound like just the ticket ! When you get them, can you take some pics of them, and Buddy using them ? How is he getting along now ?

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Thank you! Very useful post

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's amazing where you find just what you need sometimes, isn't it ?

I have 10 year old beagle who shouldn't be jumping up on things anymore either....I'll waiting to hear how they work out.....

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I just got a PM from someone else about the place where I ordered the steps. I definitely want to wait till they get here and I try them out before anyone buys them. My neighbor's were perfect - but twice the cost - and these look exactly the same at half the price. But I didn't see these in person and I don't want anyone to spend money until I try them out. I will take pix with them by the car's rear door and also by the bed. Buddy is 95 lbs. so if he does well, I'm sure they will work for anyone else too. Let's hope.
    They should be here by this time next week.