Elevated wash station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevated wash station

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultElevated wash station

I was recently asked to explain how the elevated wash station I made for Cappy and Remi actually works.

We designed and built our home in late 2004. Knowing that the dawgs would be training almost every day, I wanted a washing station where I could clean them off at an elevated level to keep from making my back ache from bending over while washing and drying them before they come into the house (boss's orders). I also knew that we would have at least 3 months of colder temps here and wanted to be able to use warm-to-hot wash water as needed. So I had a shower valve installed in the wall just inside the entrance to the garage. That valve has both hot and cold water lines plumbed to it and then on out through the exterior wall to a frost proof hose bibb.

The valve is visible here next to a wall mounted vacuum. Past the shower base you can see the training pond closest to the house, about 60 yards away.

The fiberglass shower base is up on 6 layers of landscape block (5 above grade). The tilt in the base is intentional to get all of the water to run towards the drain.

Next to the base is a gutter downspout that's flows into a corrugated platic drain system that runs under grade down to the pond. I tied into the drain line from the shower base with a "wye" and some of the same corrugated pipe.

Believe me, the dawgs enjoy being rinsed off with cold water during the warmer months, and really love the warm wash downs in freezing weather.

Once they're both washed and have shaken off, they jump back onto the shower base one at a time for their towel drying. I know, I know ... but these two ARE my children, you know.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Elevated wash station

Beautiful! You put a lot of thought into it - the dawgs sure seem to like it!

Have a great summer,

Bev.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Very nice. I wish I had something like that at home. Can you come on over and help me out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Very nice. I wish I had something like that at home.
    I was just thinking the same thing. That's so cool.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I have to admit that your wash station was one of the reasons I ran out and bought a Booster Bath (http://www.boosterbath.com/). The elevated bathing stations are great, and well-worth the money you put into them, whether purchasing pre-made or doing it yourself!

I have suffered with back problems (from years training/riding horses) enough when bending over for long periods of time that anything to get the dogs off of the ground is an absolute Godsend! I love my Booster Bath- it is very portable (and easy to store), holds between 400-500lbs (I haven't ever tried that one), and really makes things easy when rinsing/washing dogs. Since I always, always rinse mine off after they've been in the chlorinated pool, it works out great for us! I also got the ramp for the dogs and I use it for them getting in/out of my car (especially puppies or Libby with her elbow problems) as well. Once you train them to use the ramp, it is a dream, and it is very light-weight.

Thanks for posting this again- it is a fantastic idea, and MAN, is it better on your back!!!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

I wanna be a dawg and live with you and Carol!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Samson is offline Senior Member

Nobody doubts the love that you have for those pups and nobody should doubt mine either

They are my children and my life !

and,,,,,,,,, they know it

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I have a question: how do you select hot or cold water with just one spigot? Looks like it's just the standard on or off garden hose setup.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labmom2Sun
    I have a question: how do you select hot or cold water with just one spigot? Looks like it's just the standard on or off garden hose setup.
    Sorry if I didn't do a good job explaining above. It IS on/off at the hose bibb (garden valve) however the water going TO that hose bibb is mixed at the single handle shower valve in the garage. It's purposely installed in the garage so the insulated lines won't freeze in cold weather within the walls.

So I had a shower valve installed in the wall just inside the entrance to the garage. That valve has both hot and cold water lines plumbed to it and then on out through the exterior wall to a frost proof hose bibb.
    Here's a close up of that valve. It's currently set to cold only.

I usually set the valve in the garage on ambient cold water only (68 degrees F) during the summer. As soon as the morning temps drop into the low 60s or lower, I adjust the valve to deliver 80 degree water. When it drops below freezing, I turn the valve to approximately 102 degrees, just about where it would be comfortable for a human shower. I check the temperature by just feeling the water coming out of the hose. I can also use an outdoor thermometer for that purpose.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

That is really nice!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast