Weird, weird night...

Thread: Weird, weird night...

DefaultWeird, weird night...

Well it started completely normally...Piper and I were on our way to meet up with some friends to do some field training. We pulled in the park and I let Piper out to see my friend who waiting for us. He drives the same type of car I do (suburban) and the back was open with his lab crated in the back. Piper put her front feet up on the bumper to say hi to her labby friend and then started screaming bloody murder!! I ran over to her and see that her front feet have slid into the very small space between the license plate and bumper. Her pads are locked between the plastic plate frame and a metal strip on the bumper. The more she pulls the more the metal dug in, which made her scream...she was absolutely panicked. Neither my friend or I could get our hands in the small space to free her pads. Piper's screaming totally confused the poor dog crated right in front of her face which made that dog bark and growl at us!! The only thing I could think was we had to get the license plate off to free her paws. Thank God, my friend had a small tool box in his car and ran to grab a screwdriver. I was able to keep Piper from struggling by leaning on her and telling her she was a good girl and to stay over and over again. My friend was able to get the plate off which gave me just enough room to push her feet in just a bit further to unlock her pads. She ripped a good chunk off two of her pads with her initial struggling and had a good indentation across all of them, but otherwise was perfectly fine. I have no idea what I wouldv'e done had I been alone so I'm truly thankful for my friend being there. Piper was back to her wigglebutt self within just a few moments and we were both able to take a deep breath.

After the initial drama, we had a wonderful training session! Piper did her first water blind as well as a water double and, more importantly to her, got some serious playtime with a half dozen labby friends! While I was driving home, and replaying the drama in my head, I thought about how nice it was that, as terrified as Piper was with the whole situation, when I leaned on her and spoke to her, she knew I was trying to help and trusted me...she stopped screaming and trying to pull. I really love this girl and I think it's reciprocated

This warm and fuzzy feeling quickly went away as I was taking one of the last side streets towards my house. The speed limit was 35 or 40 and I was following 100ft or so behind a convertible of some sort. Nothing exciting about that until something flew over the side of the car. It bounced off the road and I realized it was a DOG!! The dog was still on a leash (apparently held by someone in the backseat of the car) and bounced under the car where it was being dragged. Finally the car stopped and reeled the dog out from under the car and back inside of it. The poor mini doxie was clearly shaken up, but didn't look injured...I don't think the car actually hit it. The lady driving saw my startled face (I was now almost beside the convertible stopped in the other lane so no one could drive by while they were getting the dog back) and she said "He's fine". I said "Please bring him to a vet, he might have internal injuries! MSU's open 24 hrs!" to which she nodded and drove off. I hope that little dog's ok

So...it was a weird, weird evening and I'm glad I'm home safe and sound with my furkids. They can all sleep in bed with me tonight if they want to!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Weird, weird night...

OH no please give Piper some kisses from me. Just the thought of her helpless and hurting brings tears to my eyes. Good thing you had someone to help you out. It is a wonderful thing when your dog trusts you so much that just your petting and talking can soothe them.

I feel equally terrible for that poor doxie! I hope the dog is okay and that his owners sought Veterinary help.

Now I am going to crawl in bed and hug my crew.
    Kim

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I gasped and then made an "eee" kinda noise when I read the part about Piper's pads being stuck and my mom looked at me like I had serious issues (lol). I'm so glad that everything ended up ok.

I hope that poor doxie is ok
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

That's more excitement than any person needs in their entire lifetime. Glad to hear Piper is okay. As for the Doxie-that poor pup needs to be seen by a vet. Hopefully the owners will make sure he gets checked.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Holy Crap. I held my breath the entire time reading that post.

Wow.

Glad Piper is okay. That other dog....man, that's just odd.
    Brenda from Connecticut

What a roller coaster of a night. I hope they had that pup checked out.

What a night! Your adrenaline must have been pumping after that. I'm glad Piper's okay and hope that poor little dog that fell out of the car is too. :-\

Poor Piper and poor you. Despite how much you must have been filled with panic, you remained calm for Piper. What a horrible thing to happen.