Drank Salt water at beach...Possible problems?

Thread: Drank Salt water at beach...Possible problems?

DefaultDrank Salt water at beach...Possible problems?

We took our 10 month old to the beach for the first time this weekend and she had a wonderful time, must have retrieved a ball 100 times, we finally put a stop to it, she would have gone forever if we hadn't stopped!.
    After playing she had a couple of diarrheas, and again later in the day, very watery,she drank plenty of fresh water at the beach.
    We didn't see her drinking any saltwater but she must have while retrieving the ball.
    Today we have fed her boiled chicken,rice and some canned pumpkin and the diarrhea is gone, problem is she is hardly drinking any water. Should I just wait at least one more day before calling the vet? She is not acting sick, just not drinking water....

Thanks in advance for all your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Drank Salt water at beach...Possible problems?

Our labs would get soft stools if the drank too much saltwater at the beach. It would clear up fast though. Abby, our younger one (17 months) actually threw up after being in the ocean.

If she isn't drinking water maybe a call to the vet will make you feel better. I bet she starts drinking soon. Please let us know how she is.

I just posted about this same thing a week or so ago..our Dakota got lots of salt water into him..and at the beach had the squirts real bad..and even thru up a little food. By the time we got home..he was fine..ate his dinner..no more problems. We gave him lots of fresh water at the beach..but it didn't help much.
    Your pup should be fine..in an hour or two after drinking the salt water.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by FLHunter3006
    We took our 10 month old to the beach for the first time this weekend and she had a wonderful time, must have retrieved a ball 100 times, we finally put a stop to it, she would have gone forever if we hadn't stopped!.
    After playing she had a couple of diarrheas, and again later in the day, very watery,she drank plenty of fresh water at the beach.
    We didn't see her drinking any saltwater but she must have while retrieving the ball.
    Today we have fed her boiled chicken,rice and some canned pumpkin and the diarrhea is gone, problem is she is hardly drinking any water. Should I just wait at least one more day before calling the vet? She is not acting sick, just not drinking water....

Thanks in advance for all your help

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kallie has the same problem when we take her to the beach..She usually "takes care of business" on our walk back to the car and by the time we get home (15-20 mins) she is fine..She won't usually drink any water while we are at the beach but when we get to the car she drinks alot!! I'm sure your pup will be fine..just make sure she drinks some water!!!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe too had this problem when she was a pup. Very runny poop the first day; then soft poop the 2nd; and back to normal by the 3rd day.

She has "learned" not to drink water. Sometimes, however, if it's quite rough, she will intake and then we're back to runny poop.

She does drink lots of fresh water when we get home.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Thank you all very much for the fast responses! I feel better knowing that it is a common problem.
    Will keep an eye on her to check on her water intake. Just gave her some ice cubes (that she loves) and she chew some of them up.
    Will be more careful next trip to the beach!

Thanks again!!!