guest dog???

Thread: guest dog???

BigYellowBoy Guest

Defaultguest dog???

Hi everyone, as you know I am new here:

I am looking for some good insights to what type of things are acceptable or NOT acceptable when you are traveling with your dog. example...
    Does your dog get to (buttuck)run inside another's house/room while visiting? Things like this...

When you travel and stay at a famliy/friends house or hotel/motel with your dog what manners do you expect from your dog?

If you are the HOST of a family/friends with their dog what type of manners would you expect from the dog and the famliy?

Thanks in advance. I am hoping I am on the same page as most of you and not clear out in left field with my expectations.
    ;DSue

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: guest dog???

I think the answer is obvious, your dog must be well behaved to visit someone else's house. I travel several times a year to Louisiana to visit my brother. He has a small mixed breed that my boys love to play with and he has a very large back yard. The first thing I do on arrival is put the boys in that backyard to work off that pent up energy. I do not allow them free run of the house and leash them when inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad
    I think the answer is obvious, your dog must be well behaved to visit someone else's house.
    I agree.. and I expect the same when another dog visits my house... breed is crazy when she goes ANYWHERE so we usually leave her home.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

When at someone elses house they are either on their best behavior or crated. Even family. I have a cousin who lets us come stay often with all 5 of our dogs now. I was worried she would freak at the numbers. But she said "what is one more" "your current four are more well behaved than my ONE". Over the years they have graduated from crates to xpens to now getting to roam her house.
    But the minute they get to crazy or under-foot they get crated.
    I always take an xpen and set it up outside in the summer and in the basement in the winter. I always take tons of chew toys and purchase marrow bones for them to keep them busy if they have to be crated long.

In hotels my dogs are very well behaved. I allow them to play and romp and in the beds but they WILL NOT be allowed to bark.
    Kim

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

We are taking Elias on his first road trip vacation tomorrow. We are driving to Virginia Beach VA and staying with our friends who have 2 dogs (a lab and a maltese!) for 4 days.
    We aren't leaving our house until about 7pm. I was thinking that Elias would be so full of energy when we got there because he's going to be doing nothing all day while we are at work and then 5 hours in the car. A wild dog at their house won't be fun come midnight so we decided to take him to doggie day care tomorrow so he'll sleep the whole ride and still be tired when we get there.
    I'm a tad bit nervous though.He's been 100% crate free for a year and 1/2 but I have never left him alone in another house. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I agree with what's been said here. If the family you visit has a dog or dogs, and they get to romping, as long as the family agrees with it ok but if it gets too rowdy, then time out is in order. Otherwise, I think what you expect on their 'best behavior' is probably in line.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

When those who have dogs visit us I let them romp around in the yard. I know my friends and their dogs and there are few surprises. When the dogs are in the house, they are usually exhausted, they just lay about.We expect the best behaviour from our girls and our friends are the same way.

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

BigYellowBoy Guest

Thank you guys! I am so glad I am not clear out in left field on this...
    We have guests this weekend, they have a young dog and my hubby has given his son rights to have this dog have free run of our home!

My dogs are very calm in the house and have manners; no counter surfin'', no buttuck running, nothing like that. The guest dog, oh my, lots of improvement is needed. After getting confirmation here I know there probably won't be a next time for a visit like this unless the owners figure out the dogs behavior. I don't blame the dog but just can't have him tearing up my place when my own dogs don't.
    Thanks for all your input...

Oona is a very good house guest but I always bring her crate with me and make sure she is in it when I'm not there. My dad has two cats that are uncomfortable around dogs so thats the biggest reason why.
    Olie