Lack of socialization?

Thread: Lack of socialization?

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultLack of socialization?

Yesterday we stopped at a starbuck's and I let BJ out of the truck for his first lesson in being a cafe dog. Things started off smoothly, he sat at my feet and even laid down for a little while, and then a woman with a very small girl stopped by and said that they had a lab at home and would it be alright if she petted the puppy. Having no reason to say no I agreed but when she set her daughter down and she reached for BJ he barked and growled. The woman picked up her daughter, I grabbed BJ and they left. A little later a very big dog came but his owner tied him quite a distance from us and that was fine but then two more dogs showed up and again barking and growling from BJ. He was perfect when just adults came over to see him, all wiggles and kisses. A couple families with kids no younger than 9 walked by and no reaction. The lady with her daughter came back by and I apologized. The only thing I can figure is that he has never been around a small child before.

He is going to puppy classes at PetSmart but he is the only dog in the class as the other dog never came back after the first session. He plays with the beagles at home all the time.

Was it too much to fast?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lack of socialization?

He definitely needs to be socialized more, to all types of people and situations. If he's going to be the only one in class at Petsmart, I think I'd find another class. A huge part of puppy class is interacting with other dogs/puppies/people. If I were you, I'd leash him and put him in all kinds of situations. Walk him in a park where he can meet all kinds of dogs/people. Anywhere where he can have interaction with different types of social situations.

Good luck!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

blackjack is offline Senior Member

We are going to start him at the dog park this weekend. I will start him slowly around the edges but I know the new kid always gets a lot of sniffs.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Dog park will be great for him. Make sure you keep him on leash though, just in case.

Love your siggy pic, by the way!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"