A Sad Story **ARRESTED!** 4TH update at top! 8/1
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sad Story **ARRESTED!** 4TH update at top! 8/1

KLM

DefaultA Sad Story **ARRESTED!** 4TH update at top! 8/1

8/1/07
    The arrest has been made.

They went to her house and told her there was a warrant for her arrest. She said, "For what?". They told her for animal cruelty. She said "You mean for the puppy in my garage?". They said "No, this is about the Blue Heeler that you dropped on XX Rd". She said "That wasn't my dog." The police took that as an admission. (Not to mention that whether it was her dog or not does not really matter anyway -what she did was still a crime!) She went on to say that she picked the dog as a stray from a gas station. She said he was wild and uncontrollable and was tearing up everything :. I don't know how long she had the dog but it was clearly long enough for THREE (not two as I had previously been told) neighbors to immediately recognize it as "HER" dog and be willing to state that to the police. The officer asked her why she didn't call animal control and she claimed she didn't know we had animal control (so I guess that makes it ok, right??? :).

Our animal cruelty laws are STATE laws. In Alabama, dumping an animal is a misdemeaner.....if the animal is killed as a result then it is a felony.

I don't know what world she lives in to believe that dumping an animal out like that is acceptable. It really boggles the mind! She has expressed no shame about what she did! I hope they throw the book at her. I think they might because this must be the first such case to actually go to court in our small city and everyone at City Hall seems excited about it.

So, now I guess we wait 6 weeks. The court date is September 13th. They don't start until 1pm. I already put in for a 1/2 day vacation. I am still very fearful of retaliation. She lives less than 2 miles from me. She obviously is a woman with no concious (sp?) or regard for life. By the way she works at the hospital - how would you like someone like that taking care of YOUR loved ones??? :-\

I hope things are quiet until the court date. SU and I are both going to receive summons to goto court. If she pleads guilty (and why wouldnt see since she already admitted what she did) then we will not have to talk in court.
    If she tries to plead not guilty then we will probably have to testify.

Guess, I'll update again on September 13th!!

7/30/07

If you want the short story:
    Today a warrant was issued for the womans arrest. They are supposed to let us know when the arrest has taken place.

If you want the long story:
    On my last post (7/19) I told you that the ac officer was going to drop of the papers over the weekend for SU to write his story down. We were supposed to have the papers back on Monday 7/23. She did not drop off the papers UNTIL Monday afternoon (7/23). On my lunch break Wednesday (7/25) I dropped off the filled out forms at the police station. A couple hours later the ac officer called and said the court magistrate (?) said that filling out the witness statement like SU did was not going to be good enough. He said SU would have to come down to the station (which we were going to do to begin with but she said this other way would be ok) to fill out an INO report(whatever that is). My heart sank because I knew this would frustrate SU. He is about the most impatient man I've ever known and this whole process has been so slow and sort of...unorganized- as in I think our police have never had a situation occur quite like this and they just don't know how to properly handle it. Well, I told him and yes, he was frustrated and the rest of the week passed without him going down there. I decided I was not going to say anything else to him for few days (I didn't want to push him or else he never would have gone). I've been praying a lot about all of this and asking God to put is in the right direction - were we doing the right thing? - should we proceed with this? I pretty much thought that I had lost SU's support....

Then this morning (by chance?!) he went up to a local fast food restaurant to grab a biscuit for breakfast. Someone was having a heart attack at the restaurant so every police officer in town was there - including the ac officer! Well, since he was face to face with her he spoke to her about it and ended up at the police station. He had to talk to the ac officer and the court magistrate and after about 2 hours the warrant for the arrest was signed. SU had to sign it too! He is still uneasy about all this. (We are both worried about some kind of retaliation from this woman.) The magistrate thanked him repeatedly for doing this. They DID have a picture of the woman and when SU saw it he immediately knew it was her. They officially told him the womans name and where she lived (which of course we already had been informed of from another source!). They said the woman was on her way to work that day when she dropped the dog (I don't know how they know that!).

In addition to all of that........and this will make you all VERY mad...it made US mad..... the woman has already gotten another dog! > I'm SO furious! How COULD she??? It really adds salt to the wound and further tells us what kind of person she is.

They are suppose to let us know after they arrest her. They will call her and tell her the warrant has been issued and she needs to come down to the station. If she doesn't then that is when the "lights blazing/handcuff" scenario will occur.

I'll let you know when I have more info!

Thank you all for your continued support!

7/19/07
    I have a bit of an update. Yesterday the animal control officer left her card on our door. When SU got home he tried to call her but had to leave a message. She didn't call back so I called her this morning. She said she needed SU to come down to the station and make and "official" statement. I asked her if she had talked to the woman and she said "NO, when I go see her it will be to arrest her". I guess when she got the pictures last week she took them to two different neighbors of this woman and they each confirmed that it was the dog. She also said that she strongly suspects that the woman knows they are on to her because the neighbor just told her that they have not seen the SUV leave the closed garage since the letter came out and that the woman is driving a completely different vehicle right now. They think she is trying to "hide".

Of course SU was off Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but was back at work today. So I said if possible we could come by late this evening so he could make his statement. Well, we could never get hooked up with her because it was court day here and when SU got home she was home with her baby while her husband (who is also a police officer) was at court with HIS cases. We tried after he was done but then I guess she got a call about a dog (which must have been picked up with ID because she was returning the dog to it's owner!) and by the time she called me back it was 8pm. Su gets up at 4am for work so he did not want to go out at that time in the evening.
    So I talked to her on the phone for a while and she said since it would be hard for him to come down to the station that she would just drop off (at our house) a witness statement form for him to write his story down on. (The downside to this method is that there won't necessarily be a "dramatic" arrest. Don't ask me why, some kind of technicality between making the statement at the station or writing the statement down at home himself and turning it it. I never really understood that part of it.) The neighbor that saw the woman struggling to load her dog into the vehicle that day is also filling out a witness statement. We need to have the form back to her by Monday. Then next week, she is going to contact the woman and tell her she has two choices. She can either come down the station, admit what she did and fill out a statement then eventually go to court and face the judge. OR the animal control officer can get ALL of the other officers on duty one day to go to this womans house or work with LIGHTS blazing and arrest her and take her out in handcuffs in front of her neighbors or coworkers. We are guessing she'll voluntarily turn herself in. Then a court date will be assigned.

I asked what this woman will be facing as far as "punishment". The court costs are $161. The MINIMUM fine for the animal cruelty charge is $100 > but the a/c officer can recommend more. She is also going to push the judge to give the woman 40 hours of community service at the shelter she works with. They will also likely give her 30 days in jail BUT immediately dismiss the jail sentence (WHY do they even do this?)....of course that is all up do the judge - he could jail her if he wants to.

So that is where we are now and I should have another update sometime next week!

Also, there was another interesting twist to this just today that I can't go into but... I've found out "through the grapevine" not only WHO this woman is (!!!) but also who the anonymous caller was! I wish I could tell you all this crazy story of how I found this out and all the details!! I know it is not likely that anyone who lives here and knows all these people would ever read this but still I don't want to risk exposing who the anonymous caller is (since their action is the only reason we are where we are now). Let's just say the whole county apparently was talking about this and it's a SMALL world, a VERY small world.....

I'll keep you all posted!

7/11/07
    Sorry...this is long (but worth it in my opinon!!)!!

I've been so depressed the past week and half since the situation with the Heeler occured. It seemed hopeless and I felt I failed that dog, and ALL dropped dogs, and you guys, and myself because it seemed so impossible to find this woman. I looked every day in the paper for my letter to be printed... my last hope seemed like Sundays paper. When it was not in there I had all but given up. I have hardly even visited the forum because I've been so down about it and was too embarrassed.

Well.....

Monday my letter was printed!!! I was really happy it finally made it in. It is not online (I'm not sure why because letters from other days are on there) but I could try to take a picture of it if anyone should want to see it that way. I received 2 calls on Monday and another call yesterday from concerned citizens who were animal lovers and were "moved" my by letter. They all told me thank you for writing it and that it was well written. It made me feel better to know a few more people out there cared! My brother also said everyone that works in the grocery store he works at was talking about it and the cashiers especially were really upset. Then my Mom mentioned it to her friend in her art class today and a man in her class overheard and said "THAT was YOUR daughter???" because he had read the letter too. I was glad to know it had reached so many people.

Today at around 3pm SU called me at work. He said the animal control officer was at our house (!!!!!) and wanted to know if I still had the pictures I had taken (which of course I did - I had them on the fridge!)!!! SU gave her the photos and they talked for a long time about the whole thing. Apparently, they received an "anonymous tip" (!!!! !!!!) from someone about where they thought the dog might have come from. The AC officer did a drive by this house (which apparently is NOT very far away from ours) and saw that they did have a silver/gray SUV. Then, this morning, the neighbor of the person at this house happened into City Hall for some other business and the AC officer saw her. She pulled her aside and asked her if she knew about a dog that her neighbor had. The neighbor said YES in fact the woman did have a dog that she has not seen since a couple weekends ago..... she remembered it because the last time she saw the dog the woman was struggling to force the dog into her vehicle (!!! !!!!). After finding that out the AC officer found my cell phone number (how I don't know) and left me a message about 12:30 today saying that she has found the woman (!!!!) and hoped that I still had the photos. I did not get the message until after I left work though and by then SU had already called me. The AC officer drove by our house and saw SU was home and stopped. That is when they spoke for a long time. She got the photos and was then going to head over to the womans house to question her! She asked SU if he would be willing to testify in court about what he saw that day. He said he had no choice because I'd kill him if he didn't! . She wanted to know if he would recognize the woman and he thinks he would but is not sure...he said if he could it would be from a distance because that is how he saw her initially. The AC officer said she could get a picture of this woman and was going come back to ask SU to see if he thought it was her (I'm wondering her plan to get that picture!).

We havent heard anything since she left this afternoon but we should because it seems like everything has started to come together. I'm shaking just writing all of this!! It just seemed so hopeless - a needle in a haystack. Although I kept saying SOMEONE out there knows a woman that drives a vehicle like that that had a heeler and no longer does. It was just a matter of the right person reading my letter!

Keep your fingers crossed that this IS the right woman and that it can be proved.

I'll keep you all updated with what happens next!

7/1/07
    I hate people sometimes. I hate MYSELF right now. Something really bad happened this evening. I'm so upset and feel so very guilty. > > :'(

I was in the backyard playing with Jake when I saw a dog running full speed down the street. I went out front... SU was already out front and informed me that a woman in a grey Jeep had stopped in our intersection and dumped out the dog! SU did not initially comprehend what was taking place until the moment that the woman sped off and left her dog (or else he probably would have run down there and confronted her :-\). The dog ran down the road after the woman. When I first saw him was after he had turned around and was running back to the intersection. He then ran up the other road and back and then back and forth down our road again - he was frantic. I went inside to call animal control. Of course they were not there but I spoke to the dispatcher and they said someone would come out in the morning. I went back outside and the dog was in our yard but then took back off down the road again.

SU and I just stood there for a bit and discussed (with shock and disgust) what had just took place. We assumed the dog would be running back to the intersection again and we were going to get him and keep him at our house until morning when animal control could come and get him. He did not come back. I waited a little while longer and then told SU I was going to drive up the road to look for him. Our road is a country road that is narrow and curvy and people are always speeding on it and I was very worried about him getting hit.

I only had to go a short distance up the road to find him. He had already been hit and was dead. :'( :'( :'(

I feel so guilty for not going sooner. For not calling him to me when he was in our yard to being with. For not doing something more. I am so ANGRY at this woman who did this. I called AC back and (through tears) told them the rest of the story. I cried for a solid hour and am still now in tears over this.

How people can be so heartless, cold and selfish I will never understand.

The dog seemed very friendly from the few moments I saw him. He seemed like a well taken care of dog. He was very nice looking with unusual markings. If only I could have got him I feel sure he could have been adopted out. If only that woman had just took him to the shelter he would have had a chance. Instead she just coldheartedly caused his death.

I am going to write a letter to the editor for the opinions page of our local paper to let this woman know what happened to her dog and that we saw what she did. Also I will urge people to NOT dump out their pets - to give them a chance by taking them to a shelter.

I'm just so mad right now, and so sad.

I had been taking pictures of Jake and had camera in hand when I went out front. I took his picture because I wanted to be able to accurately describe him to AC. If someone could tell me what he is it will help me for my letter to be able to describe the dog.

Run Free Sweet Boy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A Sad Story

oh my god! I am so sorry you had to wittness that! :'( There are no words to describe how I feel about what that woman did to her dog! > > >
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

You can't blame yourself. {HUGS}

It was Cruela's fault! >
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OMFG--that makes my blood boil. WTF is wrong with people. That poor poor dog---tears here for that poor thing.

Karma will catch up to that lady i hope.

Sorry you had to witness this....please share your letter in hopes that people will at least give their dogs a fighting chance that if they feel their last recourse is to abandon their dog, at least to do it at a shelter.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

He looks like a Catahoula cross, or maybe a Heeler cross?

I'm so sorry, that is heart-breaking. I hope she reads your letter and carries the burden of her actions.... although i think that may be wishful thinking.

It is unbelievable how cruel people can be.... just unbelievable.......Wow.

:'( :'( :'(
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

That is just unbelievable. The poor dog. I can only imagine how confused and upset he must have been. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes things occur that are so unbelievable our minds do not really comprehend what we have just experienced.

I think anyone who would do their dog this way should have the same thing done to them and see how they like being abandoned. I hope that heifer sees the letter and is haunted with the image of her sweet dog.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'm at work right now, and this story totally makes me want to go home and give Peanut and Baloo a giant hug...... :'(

8 more hours... :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

KLM

I just went to read Dakota's thread. I needed to restore my faith in people and reading Dakota updates certainly helped with that!

:'(

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I just cant get over this. How could someone do this to their poor dog? OMG OMG OMG. I cant process this. What a HORRIBLE woman. How could she?? That poor poor dog. Run free sweet dude. :'( :'(
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast