I'm not quite sure what to do with Molly anymore...(vent/pondering)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not quite sure what to do with Molly anymore...(vent/pondering)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm not quite sure what to do with Molly anymore...(vent/pondering)

Here at the beach if given the opportunity Molly will BOLT out of our front door. It doesn't matter if she has been told to stay or not, she will knock a person down to get out the door. After she proceeds out the door about 95% of the time she doesn't come when called and just continues running. I'm pretty sure if we didn't catch up to her or somebody didn't grab her that she would be gone We aren't on a major road and she always runs in the direction of the dead end, but that also leads to a marsh land that eventually leads to a major thoroughfare.

We've started leaving her leash on her while she is inside and we are stepping on it so that she has no choice but to sit/stay while we go out the door, but what if that doesn't work? What if she doesn't learn that it's not good to go out the door and run?

I was literally in tears today thinking of what would happen if she ran and didn't come back. It made me sick thinking of what would happen.

She NEVER does this at home, and never breaks a stay any other time just when she sees that somebody is leaving her (especially if it's me)
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I'm not quite sure what to do with Molly anymore...(vent/pondering)

Yep, the leash is vital for now. Another management tool would be a baby gate blocking up the front hallway/foyer, assuming the house layout allows for that.

I would also work hard on the stay at the door - have her sit, open the door slightly, ready to shut it if she breaks (have someone hold the leash if need be). Work up to having the door all the way open, then work on extending the time. Start with her a bit back from the door, 3 or 4 feet inside.

If she breaks, pick up the leash and walk her back inside, away from the door, so that she learns there is a clear consequence.

I should probably mention that "home" here at the beach is a 30 foot long travel trailer (think McDreamy on Grey's lol), so we're working with a small space.
    *Stacey*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Then not an open concept home? Or are all trailers open concept?

Seriously, you should be able to babygate the doorway then.

It's worth a shot

The door frame is quite slim but I'm sure we could work something out.

She's so lucky that we love her :P
    *Stacey*

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

hmm....

I would work with her at the door LOTS until she improves. I came VERY close to losing Peanut this way (she bolted out the door, and at that time I was living on a very busy street. If the nice man who caught her hadn't, I'm sure she would have been a minpin pancake! :-\ Not something I EVER want to go through again!)

SO, we worked at the door over and over and over again until she was reliable. I would have her on leash, stand beside her and open the door. When she tried to bolt, I would correct her with the leash and reward her when she was back in the sit position. Eventually, I would swing the door open and she would look at me, waiting for her treat!

Then we progressed to off leash work. I had my b/f stand in the hall (in case she decided to bolt, he would be there to catch her!) I would ask her to sit, and then open the door. She would look at me, like in the leashed exercise. I then slowly started to move out the door, verbally correcting her if she started to move. (I use "AHAH!" but any sharp sound would work the same)

After all that work, she NEVER crosses that threshold until I have invited her to the other side, be it in or out.

Good luck, I totally know how upsetting that can be, hope you can find a solution!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

WE have a baby gate on our front screen door too - that would be my recommendation.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

(the baby gate doesn't have to be IN the door frame.. it can block off the access to the door too, if the layout allows.. ie if there is a front hallway, put the babygate at the end.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Is there something you can tie her to inside? I'd put a long drag line on her and tie it to something secure inside, if she bolts out the door, she won't get far and will get a self-correction when she hits the end of the line.

Hmm nothing secure to baby gate our layout by the door has the walkway to my parents bed and the side of a cabinet.

Linda, I really like the self correction thing, sadly I don't think there's anything secure enough to hold. I'll have to look though. or perhaps somebody sitting at the sofa can hold onto it/sit on it.

So far this morning we've been working with the 6' leash and she only broke a stay once (I've been out the door about 5 times this morning). Each time she stays she gets lots of praise and a few pieces of her kibble "aka a treat" (that way we don't overload treats lol)
    *Stacey*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast