Out for a walk question.....

Thread: Out for a walk question.....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultOut for a walk question.....

I had Rowan out on the walking trail this afternoon for a walk and she was off leash. She began to walk away off the trail and proceeded to ignore my command 'come'. She kept walking away from me...... I started after her and grabbed her collar and clipped her on the leash. Should I have said anything to her...... or done anything differently??

We finished our walk onleash in a 'heel' fashion.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Out for a walk question.....

I don't think there was anything you could have done, since she was off leash. If I were you, I'd work on the recall, and until she's bombproof on that, I'd use a long line..... I wouldn't let her off leash , she could get into serious trouble.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

I went to a long line.. and that caused nothing but problems..... as I had no control over her at all.... hence I have her prong on.. and carry a 6ft lead for when I need to use it.... only when I feel she 'can' be off leash..... she does need a chance to have a bit of a run......

it was a farmers field she was venturing into..... so I wasn't really scared or worried....

but just wondered if I should have corrected her or just done what I did.... :-[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't correct her, I probably would have just worked a little on "come" with the leash on (provided you had treats or something) just to reinforce the command.

If you correct her once you get to her, she'll learn that coming to you means she gets a correction, and that's no fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I wouldn't correct her, I probably would have just worked a little on "come" with the leash on (provided you had treats or something) just to reinforce the command.

If you correct her once you get to her, she'll learn that coming to you means she gets a correction, and that's no fun!
    Yes, that is exactly why I didn't do anything.... I just clipped her... and went on about our business....

Quote Originally Posted by 4yelloweyedogs
    I don't think there was anything you could have done, since she was off leash. If I were you, I'd work on the recall, and until she's bombproof on that, I'd use a long line..... I wouldn't let her off leash , she could get into serious trouble.

Melissa
    I definitely agree on this.

Off-leash privileges are just that- privileges- you earn them. Gabby lost them for about a month lately and went back to dragging a long line. She is now back to being absolutely bombproof- (off leash today, she turned away from children at a playground with food!) You might want to consider carrying a long line and clipping that to her for her off leash time if she is not steady on the recall - that way you can correct her.

Also, be careful with farmers. Unless you know the farmers, don't assume that she will be safe in their field...we have several family farms, and loose dogs are a real hot button issue with our family. You don't know who had a calf killed or who had a row messed with recently (unless, of course, you know the farmer). You don't want Rowan getting hurt because someone else let their dog loose also.

Yes, the long lead makes sense... how do I keep her from constantly getting tangled up......???

I should clarify.. that the field is a 'crop' field.. and has a beaten path down the side that people walk on..... just off the main walking trails....

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Remember that without a bombproof recall, Rowan is not going to come to you without any incentive. If she associates the word 'come' with being put back on leash she will be much less inclined to return to you.

Another thing, if you can get away with it (she is not in any obvious dangers), do NOT go and get the dog. If you tell her to 'come' and she ignores you and you go and get her anyway you have given her another reason to ignore you -- you can't enforce 'come', therefore the command is meaningless to her.
    Next time she ignores you, swiftly turn around and walk in the opposite direction to where you are going. Pat your side, continue walking (do not stop!) and say "Rowan, COME!". Her instincts will tell her to follow you. Wait until she has caught up and calmly praise and put her leash on. Walk a minute or two with her on leash and let her off again. Repeat the above as necessary.

Anne is offline Senior Member

Next time she ignores you, swiftly turn around and walk in the opposite direction to where you are going.
    Yes! Labs are as naturally curious about what is going on as they are interested in being near their owner.

Also, if this were to happen again and she (ie, her collar) was within arm's reach of you, it would be perfectly fine to reach out and give her collar a quick tug/correction and say "No. Heel." and bring her back into heeling position.

But, as the other's said, I think working on her recall should be first.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper