Skippy is learning, but OMG!

Thread: Skippy is learning, but OMG!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultSkippy is learning, but OMG!

Skippy is seven years old and has never been the brightest bulb in the world, but he is sweet and dear and "everybody loves Skippy". He actually flunked out of a basic obedience class early a few years ago (didn't pass the easy "end of class" test for a certificate). However - I have decided to take him to basic obedience where I train Emilu. He is actually doing pretty well, and I can see him improving. HOWEVER - he still whines, cries, fusses, barks and howls while waiting in the crate for Emilu's class to be over. A kind lady who is there watching her husband and their dog has taken him out and pet him the past 2 classes to shut him up a little. I tried working with them at the college today and put him in our soft crate, thinking that if I was RIGHT THERE, and he wasn't really in a strange place with lots of other things he would be OK - NOT!!! He cried and whined and barked and then tipped the crate over! That shut him up for a second or 2, but after falling over with the crate 2 more times we called it a day. Put Emilu in it and trained him. Sigh - not sure what I'm going to do with that boy :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Skippy is learning, but OMG!

Wow you're busy during classes. Skippy: give your mom a break!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

You think its just the excitement of the class? Maybe you can bring along a helper to keep him occupied?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sloigo is offline Senior Member

Not to be a wise *ss Pat, but if I have any of my girls that are still happy & healthy & WANTING to learn at that age..... Could there just be a Skippy & Pat time? Short & sweet? Perhaps, you are expecting too many changes from him at one time? He is seven after all. Now you go give that big lug a big hug & EXTRA cookie from Aunt Karen! ;D
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

patm is offline Senior Member

We're doing fine training at home, and he has learned to wait in the house (watching out the window) for his turn while I train Emilu outside. It's just in class that we have trouble. I wanted to be able to take him to classes with other dogs and to be able to get out with Emilu and me instead of being left at home when she goes to class. I also have visions of competing with him in Rally. I would take just him right now and then he wouldn't have to wait, but I also want to enter Emilu in Novice obdedience this fall and that is what we are stressing in her class at this time. The instructor wants me to leave him outside in his crate, but I really don't want to get to class, throw up his crate and let him outside by himself - even I would howl at that! Maybe I can get Fiddlelady to go with me this week - her work hours have changed and she works later than me now, but I think this week she gets off when I do - that would give us at least one class where he hasn't worked himself into a frenzy before his class starts. He's such a mommas boy.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I know this is a simple solution and you've probably tried it, but I'll ask anyway.

Have you covered the crate so he cannot see out?

That seems to calm a lot of crate barking dogs at shows.

sloigo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    .....that would give us at least one class where he hasn't worked himself into a frenzy before his class starts. He's such a mommas boy.
    Hopefully that would work for you! Gosh I can't even go potty myself in peace, mine are all such babies. Kiana will sit outside the door & cry, : so Daisy will come & plow it open for her!
    Skippy, Man up!
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I feel for you. Simon has been a whiner from day one. : He's adorable, and like Skippy "Everybody loves Simon," but MAN! Give it a rest, dude!

I have one thought/piece of advice: Don't ever reward him for whining (by letting him have his way, getting petted out of the crate, etc.) I had the same situation with them at class. Simon did not like being left alone in the crate at first, but I let him cry and whine and after a few times, it sunk in that crying wasn't going to get him his way. Now on the other hand, if I'm on the computer and Simon comes up and starts bouncing my hand off the mouse with his nose and whining, I will usually stop what I'm doing and pet him. :-[ Guess what behavior we have never extinguished?

I like the covering the crate idea too!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Does he have a favorite stuffed animal? Puff does better when she has her Teddy Bear with her. Maybe covering the crate + favorite stuffed animal?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748