How long will your lab.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will your lab.....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow long will your lab.....

play fetch??

Rowan has been doing pretty good at getting some weight off ( I am going to get her weighed on Tuesday) and I notice her faster on the retrieve but find after about 5 minutes or so she has had enough. SHe does run hard but am wondering.... if this is normal??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How long will your lab.....

Tal would go as long as I would play with him. It has been in the low 60s in the AM here so I have been taking advantage of that. I can tell when he starts to get tired tho. He will go full out for about 30 minutes then start to taper off. I usually stop about 40 minuites.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Mine will play indefinitley..... I wear out before they do !!

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ruger would retrieve until he died. I have to watch him and stop him when he's really wheezing for breath.

Remington retrieves a few and loses interest... he'd rather run after Ruger and attack him. He pretty much self monitors... when he gets overly tired he will stop and rest.

Magnum does paces herself with her running and will retrieve at a much slower pace when she begins to tire.

I think it all depends on the dog and the drive.

So how do I tell if it is lose of drive or that she is pooped out?? Does the 'drive' differ between field and bench lines??

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    So how do I tell if it is lose of drive or that she is pooped out?? Does the 'drive' differ between field and bench lines??
    I'm not sure how to tell about the different drive, but when Tal starts to tire he slows down and the more tired he gets he still wants to retrieve but the body won't cooperate. I figure it's like us when we get tired. Sometimes we want to keep going but the body just won't let us!

I would watch for signs that Rowan slows down when playing fetch. She may not stop and rest but you'll see signs that she is tiring. If she only lasts 5 minutes now, you might want to gradually build the time...like maybe 6 or 7 minutes tomorrow. Also, try maybe bouncing the ball and let her catch it. Maybe break it up a bit and play something else for awhile.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Mambo will retrieve until I make him stop. But he only retrieves in the water.

Usually after about 5 minutes or so she takes the toy and flops down on the grass with it. I have been taking two different toys out to attempt to keep her amused.

This fetch session today was after a 20 minute walk but I am thinking she should have 'more in her'.... NOW if another dog was here... she'd be running non stop.. ..... she loves being social.. LOL!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If I threw 1000 dummies (not that I ever would!) into a pond the dogs would not stop until they retrieved them all. Especially Joker -- he is an absolute retrieving manic.

A fit young Lab won't tire after 5 minutes of any activity so I suspect it is lack of drive, not that there is anything wrong with that. Some Labs have it, some don't. Low or medium drive dogs tend to make better pets than high or super high energy ones do. High drive dogs are always busy and looking for something to do while low/medium drive dogs are much more content to 'go with the flow'.

Does drive differ between the two lines? yes. I don't want to make generalizations because it differs from individual to individual but usually, field line Labs are high drive and bench lines are more medium drive.

The best thing to do with a dog who is low or medium drive is not stress the issue too much. Don't play fetch every day or even every week. Make it a pleasurable activity that you do occasionally for fun and not just because you want to make the dog run for exercise. If you push fetch on her when she is not interested she will gradually learn to ignore and avoid it completely. Short, occasional sessions are key to keeping it fun.

I don't know what's normal or not but it is the same with Toby. He has fun for 10 minutes and then I have to improvise. Instead of throwing the ball I kick it or do some bouncing or I use a different toy. This gives us another 5 - 10 minutes but thats it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast