Question about center rings in collars

Thread: Question about center rings in collars

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about center rings in collars

I have read that if a collar has a center ring instead of the ring at the buckle that it is supposed to be safer and allow the dog to release itself easier if caught in brush, etc. I can't figure out how a ring in the middle would help with this. Anybody know? I am trying to get new collars for the dogs and having a heck of a time getting ones large enough. I use the waterproof vinyl coated nylon (so the collar doesn't stay damp and stinky after getting wet) and can only find up to 23 inches. Mine need at least a 24 inch. The ones I have (especially Skippys since Emilu keeps chewing on it) are finlly delaminating and falling apart. I got some quick-release ones from Olly dog, but their IDtags wouldn't thread on that type (and I really like their ID tags) and the collars were a little flimsy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about center rings in collars

I have read that if a collar has a center ring instead of the ring at the buckle that it is supposed to be safer and allow the dog to release itself easier if caught in brush, etc. I can't figure out how a ring in the middle would help with this. Anybody know
    I don't understand, either, and doubt it.

We use a round rolled leather collar on Puff and keep it loose enough so it easily slides off over her head. My hope is that if she ever got it hooked on something in the woods, she'd easily be able to slip her head out of it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748