Losing hair around one eye!

Thread: Losing hair around one eye!

DefaultLosing hair around one eye!

Dakota has lost hair right around his right eye..anyone have any idea what this is all about??? His left is fine. There is no discharge, eye looks fine..just no hair around it.
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Losing hair around one eye!

Hershey has developed a bald spot behind her right eye. She is just shy of 6 months. No sign of inflammation, bugs, or anything else I can detect. I am going to have the vet look at it tomorrow when she will be there anyway.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Strange..could Dakota's losing hair around his eye..just be from shedding? His coat is still two shades of brown..dark and medium brown. I'll call my vet tomorrow..or maybe see if it's something I'm feeding him.
    I'll be curious what your vet says.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Hershey has developed a bald spot behind her right eye. She is just shy of 6 months. No sign of inflammation, bugs, or anything else I can detect. I am going to have the vet look at it tomorrow when she will be there anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It could be Demodectic Mange.

Ruger got this around one eye when he was about 9 months old (after neutering him). Your vet will do a skin scraping to find the mites. The cure is simple. They give you an ointment to apply around the eye... it kills the mites and the fur grows back.

You cannot get this mange from your dog, and your other animals won't either. Demodectic Mange is generally a result of stress from a recent medical procedure, boarding, training, change in routine, etc.

Check with your vet.