Dog Park Ettiquette

Thread: Dog Park Ettiquette

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Park Ettiquette

Hershey is almost 6 months old, 8 more days, and is showing progress toward Labdom.

I have a question on Dog Park etiquette.

We were at a dog park pond today, 8-10 dogs fetching sticks, balls, running around shading each other in the water, having great time, all play.

All except one. This dog would run from one dog to another, biting the other dog in the neck or shoulder. Not a bitey face bite either. He/she never bit Hershey, although he did chase her trying. I think Hershey was too fast for it. The only thing the couple with the dog did, was that she would say, ‘Jacey, please be nice.’ In a whiny voice, not as a command.

The dog got a hold on a Rottweiller(sp?)’s skin at the shoulder and was pulling on it. The owner of the Rottweiller first chased the other dog off, checked his dog, and then caught the other dog and dragged it over to the couple. I do not know what he said, but the couple started to walk off, calling Jacey and the woman said, ‘Oh dear Jacey! You got in trouble.’

Had the dog gotten to Hershey like that, I believe that I would have told the couple to leash the dog, or I would and deliver it to animal control.

What is the right thing to do?

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Park Ettiquette

Sigh.

This is exactly why we don't go to dog parks. There's always one. :

Angus had a bad experience at a public puppy play time that cured us of this. A big GSD chased him down, rolled him, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and growled. Angus was not the first dog he had done this to (just in this one evening), but poor little boy, he was onlly about five months old, and it *really* scared him. He spent the rest of the evening hiding between my legs.

And what did the owner of the GSD do? Oh, he gloated. Yeah. He thought his dog was just the coolest, toughest dog ever.

>

We called the owner of the facility and formally complained - both of us - and got no satisfaction. And so, that was the end of puppy playtime.

We started having friends over to do this once in a while...people we knew and whose dogs we knew were not aggressive. We liked these so much more. I have always felt very nervous with Angus and dogs in a crowd. You just never know, and Angus tends to push the buttons of other dogs. I just really like a more controlled environment, especially for him.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure what the right response would be, but I would be like the owner of the Rottie if the dog had gotten hold of mine. No telling what the man said. Kudos to his Rottie for keeping his cool.

This is why I never took Tal to a dog park and don't intend to. And I bet if Jacey had decent owners he would have been ok.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

This is why I don't go to dog parks. Unfortunately there is ALWAYS one jerk owner there!!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

At our dog park, we tell the owner to leash or leave!

The park office number is posted and it has been used a number of times and those people are banned and don't come anymore.

Eddie is one of those dogs who pushes other dogs buttons and does nothing to attract that kind of attention and has been atttacked a couple of times for no reason. It has scarred him mentally a bit but he loves the park so we keep going and he gets his confidence back slowly. He has decided that standing behind his Mom is a safe to be!

I just keep away from the play area as much as possible. This suits both him and Fanny, they would much rather walk around and sniff out any unsuspecting bird, groundhog, rabbit and the odd horse. Though Eddie doesn't like them, they won't play with him or do what he tells them too. Might be a language problem! LOL!

We do go to the pond for Fanny and they do play with other dogs but not for long. Today was the longest time we have spent at the play area for a while, Eddie found a group of dogs that he liked and was racing around with them just like he used to.

BTW, our dog park is a ten acre field with a 4 (I think) acre pond and is run by the county. On one side of the pond people fish and picnic and feed the ducks and the other side is the bark park. It is well run, we have quarterly meetings with the park officials and we all police ourselves.

I think if you ask the owner to leave as a group they do. For the most part our dog park has well behaved dogs, probably because we don't tell anybody about it. We did have one dog, a Leonberger, named Asa, that was a problem. His owner knew everything, so she didn't need to take him to obedience training. : Well she stopped bringing Asa to the park during peak times. A coworker told me that she was at the more popular park in our area sitting on a bench and a dog came up and peed on her! I asked her to describe the dog and sure enough it was Asa.
    Olie

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks gang! I think I got some ideas. I wasn't that far off, will just have to control my attitude if the situation comes up again.

We are fortunate (in my opinion) to have a reasonable number of dog parks in the area. I have areas to take Hershey out for off leash runs and exploration. We run into an occasional other dog that provides some interaction, and opportunity to attempt train to stay with me verses chasing the other dog.

I try to find DPs with water. I want to provide Hershey the opportunity to exercise, have fun, and enjoy what I believe is natural to her breed. We don't go to DPs without water, and we (Hershey, Mom, and Dad) have fun. We meet other dog owners, pick up tips, have people willing to let us train with Hershey on public behavior. If we had a large piece of rural land with neighbor dogs our own pond or lake shore, we certainly would be going to dog parks But they serve our purpose now and we enjoy them. And like in any public place, we run into those (owners) that need to be put in their place.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I don't let Oona go up to any dog I don't know. She can be 30 yards away from me and will sit on command. Then I will go up to the dog with her for an introduction. This way I can supervise and intervene if necessary.
    Olie