Can I teach my dog to bark???

Thread: Can I teach my dog to bark???

DefaultCan I teach my dog to bark???

Bad news in the neighborhood. Yesterday, some guy walked up to a house and knocked on the door, neighbor answers. Guy says he's looking for - a name of someone. Neighbor says he hasn't heard that name. Guy leaves. Well, I guess this guy kept knocking on doors until he found one that nobody was home. :-\ He broke into the sliding glass door in the back.

My problem is Riley doesn't bark when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door. He will run to the door and that's it. Garth used to be my barker; I guess Riley figured Garth had it covered, so why should he bother!!! Can I teach him to bark when someone rings the doorbell??? I'm more worried about someone breaking in, realizing we have a dog and then hurting him than losing my stuff!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Can I teach my dog to bark???

Yes! you can teach him to bark..
    Shayna knows when to speak or speak on command and even quiet/inside barking

sorry to hear about the breakins

Kathryn Guest

Ill send you one of mine. They bark if a car is driving down the street : . They bark at cats, other dogs, people, and the fedex guys wont come to the door unless I meet them out at the steps because they bark-a lot!
    How many you want lol

Sorry to hear about the break in scary stuff!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear about the break-ins ... that's IS very scarey. I'm no help with bark training ... I have the opposite problem ... I need to work to make them STOP barking. :-[

Thanks! I'll do a search and see what I can find. I have never known how to teach dogs to bark on command!

I'm sorry about the breakins, too. Of course I learn of this as I am taking DH to the airport! We were driving down the street and stopped to talk to the neighbors to see what was going on because there were five to six cop cars and a crime scene unit van. Not what I want to hear while spending a weekend home alone. :-\

Thanks for the offer, Kathryn; I'll take two, just in case! I've always wanted one of each color!

Kathryn Guest

you are very welcome ill send them right over lol

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that break-ins, it must be pretty scary!

I guess I am lucky, Lexi barks at anyone who gets remotely near her "domain".

My pretty girl, Lexi!

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Is there a time when your dog gets worked up and barks? When Kai was a pup, he would usually get a little worked up in the evening and bark for a bit of attention. I would use that to teach him to "speak". When he would bark, I would immediately say "Speak!", and then reward him. It has to be instant so that the dog learns to associate the command with the bark, despite the fact the command would come after the bark. In no time at all, Kai learned to associate the command "speak" with a bark. So now I can ask him to speak whenever I like. Also, as a bonus, once a dog learns "speak", it is much easier to teach "no speak". I hope this helps.