Question - walking 2 dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - walking 2 dogs

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion - walking 2 dogs

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I have a question for those who walk 2 labs at a time. What do you use? I would like to be able to walk the dogs down the road, or be able to walk them both at once when I take them to class etc. 2 separate leashes doesn't work very well and I was wondering if anyone uses those split leash things. If you do, is it better to get as much distance as possible between them? I saw some that said 16 inches between the dogs and another that had a few more inches. Any suggestions? I have 2 large dogs who walk well on leashes, but not much expereince in walking them both at the same time with one person.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question - walking 2 dogs

I always use seperate leashes for my three, and my dogwalking client groups of up to 5 dogs.

I find the couplers don't allow the dogs enough room.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

I have used a couple different tandem harnesses. The simplest is one that hooks onto the end of a regular leash and makes a "v". This works well unless you have one dog who likes to be ahead of everybody else (I do). I recently bought a tandem harness from Larz Pet Gear. It is made for dogs that like to pull and has a bungee like cord built into it and a very comfortable padded handle. It has a tandem split on the front and then another latch about 16" back for the third dog. My main problem with it is if the dogs wind around each other one gets unhooked from the leash. I spoke with the customer service at Larz and their solution is duct tape (seriously) on the clips that attach to the main body of the leash so it can't open. My friend who has three basset hounds has a leash that has one handle and three equal length leashes that hook to it. It is expandable up to four.

What works best for me is separate leashes because my dogs are not very good on leash. I am constantly detangling them or having one switch sides behind me. Since your dogs walk well on leash you may have better success with a tandem harness.

BJ got his rabies shot yesterday so in 10 days he can join the fun. I am not sure about walking four dogs alone - at least not my four. I may have to walk them in shifts.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I use two leads and two buckle collars, or no leads at all is easiest. Ruby likes to sniff the blvd and Rhys likes to stay right with momma, so it wouldn't be fair to tether him to Ruby and get dragged all over.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Seperate leashes, two dogs on each side.

I mostly use slip leads on my dogs regardless of the number I'm walking. If we're going for an actual walk, we're walking...not sniffing, pottying, etc. I don't make them heel, just a nice loose leash walk. I've used a coupler on my jack russells before and it works well, but I don't think I'd put one on lab-sized dogs.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I use seperate leashes for my two. Samm likes to sniff about, while Kai just wants to get to the park, so he'd be dragging Samm along if they were connected.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Two leashes here

Jasper would be pulling Samson off his feet if not

Gus and Zekes Mom is offline Senior Member

I used a coupler when the boys were young, but it didn't work very well once they reached a certain size. Also, Gus is more of a puller so Zeke was being dragged a good bit. I use separate leashes on them now, with Zeke on my left side and Gus on my right. Zeke only needs a flat collar and leash, but I use a harness on Gus.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Three leashes, dogs are in front of me and they like to jockey for position to see who gets the middle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast